Thai Temple Bells

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Thai Temple Bells

Postby taffyman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 pm

I was given this tree about two years ago, and it was pretty sick. A lot of dead branches, soil totally water repellant and compacted. I thought it wasn't going to survive. It's taken the last two years to start getting some good growth on it (that's why it's straggly and out of shape). Why I'm posting the photos though is to show the beautiful tiny 'lantern' flowers on it. The perfume from them is very 'heady' - sort of a cross between Gardenia and Star Jasmine. I'm hoping for good things to come with this tree in the next year or two. I've got two smaller ones, but they only have very few flowers on them so far.
By the way, it's proper name is Wrightia Religiosa (Thai Temple Bells)

Image Image Image Image

Update 2 March 09:

Been doing some work on this one over the last fifteen months since the photos above were taken. I've let it grow, cut it back, wired, re-wired and finally got the branches to just about where I want them. They've been fairly difficult to bring down to a reasonable level (they were nearly all growing upwards and didn't look right - look at the photos above and in my post Thai Temple Bells in bud - now in flower).
http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13033

The first photo below is what it looked like yesterday before a good pruning. Today, I set to with wire to bring the branches down to just about horizontal.
The second photo shows it fully wired and pruned. The left side looks ok but the right side still has some growing to do.
In the third photo, I've drawn a triangle around the foliage to show where it needs more development on the right side. The branches with the blue arrows need to be lengthened to match the others above it - the branch with the red arrow isn't pointing to the side, it goes towards the back.
The overall shape is just about there, so now all the individual foliage pads need to fill out in the spaces between the branches to give it a more natural appearance.

Another year or two and this one should be quite a presentable tree.

Image Image Image
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:06 pm

I have every faith in you Mr. T :D
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:16 am

what an exquisite little tree! I love it! :D
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:39 am

That is magnificent Taffy :!: :!: I can almost smell the pefume off the screen! Do you have a pic of what it was like before you resuscitated it, cos it sure looks perfect at the moment! :D
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby Luzy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:41 pm

What a cool looking tree! Gosh those flowers add a different dimension - lovely! :D
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:06 pm

That is going to be a great one, Taffy.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby DuffGardens » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Already looks like a great one to me :wink:
DuffGardens
Pruner

Re: Thai Temple Bells

Postby taffyman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:37 pm

Just updated this one to show what it looks like now - 15 months later. See above "Update 2 March 09"
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Thai Temple Bells

Postby lmrk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks for the update Taffy!! (Y) That tree is looking gorgeous!!! After reading all your posts especially with the addition of diagrams, the whole bonsai thing is starting to "click" a bit!!! :mrgreen:
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Return to Bonsai