Is it too late........?

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Is it too late........?

Postby lmrk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:46 pm

To prune and bonsai these new additions? Bought them today and I know that bonsaing should be done only in spring (and it's 2 days til summer)? Should I leave them for next year? Don't want to kill them! HELP!!!! :cry: :cry: :wink:

Chinese Elm:

Japanese Elm:

Imagen
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby Luzy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:20 pm

I should probably say 'don't take my advice as I've no idea what I'm doing' but...

Would it hurt to give them a trim toward what you're eventually wanting and, while you're furiously searching for info on the net leave them in their bigger pots?????

I did think that some trees had different times that were right to 'do stuff' to them???? (Your balcony is getting bigger, isn't it Leah? :o )
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:33 pm

Hey Luzy! :D

That sounds like sage advice.........will just give them a trim and style and wait for next year!

Yes, the balcony is getty VERY full indeed!

Cheers

Leah
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Re: Is it too late........?

Postby imonetwo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:21 pm

Depends on how much root you want to take,and how much top you are going to have to take, if you root prune hard. At the moment in Melbourne we are having mini springs, couple of days with cool temps & rain followed by warmer periods, most trees can be repotted in this sort of weather provided you arent too harsh with the scissors, and they are protected for a few adys after. I repotted 15 trees yesterday ( Sat 15/12 ) and they havent suffered any set back at all even though I bare rooted them.
Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Return to Bonsai