"Splitting" a tree ... ?

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

"Splitting" a tree ... ?

Postby oproudfoot » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:48 am

Hi all, if anyone has any advice on this it would be great. I have a small pine that has one branch that would (on its own) make an awesome cascade, while the other 'half' of the tree would be a good up-right. Can I saw it in half and make two different trees out of it ... ? I'm guessing plenty of hydration throughout the process would be wise (to make sure the root-system doesn't dry out), but beyond that I'm not sure of anything else I should do while splitting the tree. I guess it would also be wise to make sure both new trees were connected to a decent amount/ bulk of the root-system ? Should I drastically trim back the foliage, to reduce the work the roots have to do ... ? Hmmm, will post a pic of the tree in question tomozza, in case it helps.
Owen
oproudfoot
Curator

Re: "Splitting" a tree ... ?

Postby taffyman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Opf, if you mean splitting the tree down the centre of the trunk - sure, there's no problem with doing that. With regards to having enough roots; with the trunk split down the middle, then there will be no branches at the back, so all the roots on the two seperate pieces will still continue to supply nutrients to the branches above them - as they did before it was split. There shouldn't be any need to trim the foliage back because as above, the roots on the left of the original tree were feeding the branches on the left, and the roots on the right were feeding the branches on the right. So, if you aren't trimming any of the roots off, then the foliage wouldn't need trimming either.
Be interested to see how this one turns out.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:34 am

OPF, looking forward to your pics.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Luzy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Absolutely! And to your success, Owen.