Figs

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Figs

Postby lmrk » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:04 am

Some of you may know that it's been murderously hot in Melb recently. My bonsai's have suffered for it dreadfully (doubt if the serissa or Japanese maple will see the week out). Mainly concerned about the figs (as they are my fave!) - have 3 banyon and 3 port jackson (I think :oops: ). Even though the balcony faces east with sun until about 11am, with 41+ degrees, it still does some serious damage to the figs. Some leaves are dying, others have developed black spots or brown dead edges, and are going an almost transparent colour (if that makes sense). I know that figs don't like a lot of water as they store it in their trunks, but have watered them every day during this heat. Is this the right thing to do, or is the watering causing the leaf problems?

I know that some people grow their figs indoors. Could I leave my figs indoors during the summer? My kitchen gets REALLY humid / hot with lots of morning light, but can put the figs out of direct sunlight. How often should I water them (the $64,000 question! :wink: )

Attached some pics of the leaf problems (although they actually look a lot worse in person than the photos indicate).

Cheers

Leah

Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Re: Figs

Postby Luzy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:03 pm

Leah, I've been moving my one little PJ fig around during this weather so that's it's always in shade (outside - hard pressed to find room inside at the moment). I can't see that there'd be any harm in having the figs inside, especially for those predicted scorchers combined with northerlies.

Oh, and Pam, it's still alive in its little pot - though summer isn't over yet!
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Thanks Luzy. Will bring them in & see how they go!

Cheers :D
lmrk
Curator

Postby imonetwo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:30 pm

You are right Leah they dont like water,well not wet feet anyway. I live in Melbourne too and grow on my balcony but my trees are loving it. Instead of watering so much to stop them drying out either mist spray them on hot days or do as I do with my smaller figs, get a tray, place half an inch of clean gravel in it and keep it moist, then place you fig in it and the humidity will make your fig boom. From your pic it doesnt look as if you defoliated this year,the best thing about all the hot weather has been the ability to defoliate twice this season.
Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby lmrk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:13 am

imonetwo wrote: Instead of watering so much to stop them drying out either mist spray them on hot days or do as I do with my smaller figs, get a tray, place half an inch of clean gravel in it and keep it moist, then place you fig in it and the humidity will make your fig boom. From your pic it doesnt look as if you defoliated this year,the best thing about all the hot weather has been the ability to defoliate twice this season.
Regards
Eric

Hi Eric.

Thanks sooooooo much for your information :D :D (Y) I've been freaking out about what to with them & it's good to hear from someone who is growing them in almost the same environment.

You're right - I haven't defoliated any of the figs, as most of them are quite new (2 are actually Christmas presents). Do you think I should defoliate now, or do you think I should wait until September?

Cheers

Leah
lmrk
Curator

Postby imonetwo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Gday Leah

You can probably still get away with defoliating , I would take half off this week while its cool and then the other half in a week or so, I think we are still in for atleast 2 months of growing so plenty of time to make new leaves. Having said that, you may l want to just thinken the branches more in which case I would just reduce all small side branches to one leaf.
I think if you put your fig on a tray and leave it in the full sun it will grow like crazy. Dont forget that even though figs are tropical they still like their roots to dry a little between waterings.
Im in Noble Park Leah we will have to hook up one day and compare balconies :)
Regards
Eric
I have been growing trees for 25 years so if you need any advice dont hesitate to ask,even if you think the question is stupid. I have discovered in the years that its no use referring to books,you have to ask people who are doing it in your region.
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby lmrk » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:43 pm

imonetwo wrote:I have been growing trees for 25 years so if you need any advice dont hesitate to ask,even if you think the question is stupid. I have discovered in the years that its no use referring to books,you have to ask people who are doing it in your region.

Eric, I fear you may live to regret that offer!!!!! :lol: :lol: I'm VERY new to bonsai & hoping to pick any bonsai brain I can get my hands on!!!

Thanks heaps for the advice

Leah
lmrk
Curator

Return to Bonsai