Wild olive for Bonsai??

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Wild olive for Bonsai??

Postby Coastal Gardener » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi to the advisers,
I have posted some pictures of a natural wild olive stunted tree that I would like to make into my bonsai tree. As can be seen, it has been subjected to natural erosion and a tough sea side environment.
I look forward to all suggestions.
Cheers, CG
Attachments
012.JPG
Wind & erosion
012.JPG (6.81 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
011.JPG
Coastal conditions
011.JPG (6.81 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
CG .... yes I'm a bee .... but not a B!!!!!
Coastal Gardener
Lawn trimmer

Re: Wild olive for Bonsai??

Postby taffyman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi CG, welcome to the GE forums.
I presume by your other post that you live in Adelaide (lots of excellent Olives growing wild in SA). Could you give us some idea how tall this tree is - and would it be possible for you to use an online site like Photobucket to store a full size photo of your tree, then post a 'thumbnail' here so we can click on it to see more detail of the tree? If you haven't used Photobucket, or aren't sure how to post a thumbnail pic, send me a pm and I'll step you through it. It's really very easy to do and it lets us see the full size photo. From that, we could hopefully advise as to what good characteristics we can see in your tree - caracteristics you can use to shape your 'prize'.
Olives are excellent material to use as Bonsai - they are as tough as old boots and just about any Bonsai technique can be used on them. Older ones look magnificent with some bare 'driftwood' on them because it can be bleached to a brilliant white.
If you are intending to dig it up, dig as much of the rootball with it as possible and put it into a container suitable for the size of the rootball. A styrene Vegetable box, or large tub from Bunnings with holes drilled in the bottom will be ideal. It'll be living in this container for a time while a new root system develops. If it is growing in a sandy soil, then just shake off the sand an pot it, but if it is in a more clay type soil, scrape off as much of it as you can, but try not to damage any more roots. You could use a hose to wash it off if you like, then pot it up. If you could post another photo as I suggested then we can tackle some pruning.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Wild olive for Bonsai??

Postby Coastal Gardener » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi Taffy and thank you for your advice.
I've always been a lover of Bonsai but have purchased them until recently.
Now I'd like to be as proud as punch of something that I've grown and developed myself -with the help of others like you!
I already have one that I've dug up (had to due to renovations here) and put in a shallow bowl. It seems to be going OK despite the little time I've had to give it much attention -except for a little pruning.

But now I'm keen to do more now, particularly with the one still in the ground that has been 'shaped' by the coastal conditions here.
This one would be approximately 30-35 cm tall and with many roots uncovered from the conditions, so could be useful in the final positioning of it as an added feature.

As regards the site to put the photos, my anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam and Firewall has stopped it from being accessed so I cannot do anything there?
Anything else you may suggest I will try to do.

In the mean time, keep smiling and enjoy your gardening Taffy and I look forward to your further advices.

Cheers for now, CG Terry.
CG .... yes I'm a bee .... but not a B!!!!!
Coastal Gardener
Lawn trimmer

Return to Bonsai