1st shot at grafting!

A forum dedicated to bonsai, the art of growing dwarfed, ornamentally shaped trees or shrubs in small shallow containers.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

1st shot at grafting!

Postby lmrk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:30 pm

I've never done any grafting before, but being the "impatient" bonsai person, thought I'd give it a shot!!

I followed this video on YouTube (yeah, I know, you can't believe everything you see on YouTube, but this guy's technique seemed to marry up with what is said in the bonsai books I've read).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3PVlqQHZHM&feature=PlayList&p=D566A38B9939EBD3&index=13

Used a radiata pine as the test subject. Took a cutting from the top and grafted it lower onto the tree, and now I have this:

Cheers

Leah
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Re: 1st shot at grafting!

Postby imonetwo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Well Done, and the radiata is such a strong grower it will be successful. Someones becoming an expert :)

Regards
Eric
imonetwo
Head Gardener

Postby Pam » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:56 am

My first attempt at grafting was a total failure ......... and so was the second! :roll:

I don't suppose you have before pics, do you Leah?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:42 am

Hi Pam

Don't actually have any before photos, other than this one from before my parents left the pine out in the sun in the scorching heat :twisted: :twisted:

Had to prune the top off to get rid of all the black bits.

I've only grafted the one little cutting which I took from the top of another radiata pine, to grow a new branch in the middle of this tree. Have no idea whether it will work, but chose the pine as it exudes this mega sticky sap, which I thought would help the wound to heal and keep germs and insects out. :-?

If this process works, I will try this technique with my corky bark oak and promise I will take photos of each step. :D (maybe even a video?).

Cheers

Leah
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Return to Bonsai