Concern

This is the Garden Express Hedges and Borders Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Closed 1st June 2007 - winners announced.

Postby ian » Wed May 30, 2007 11:08 am

Having read the various posts I thought I would share my thoughts on this as this question comes up every now and then. Some points have been covered in earlier posts

First point is that this is a photo competition involving gardens rather than a garden competition. Hence it is of less importance whether the garden belongs to the person taking the photo.

The following examples of winners demonstrate that a large landscaped garden can show off ideas for combinations but certainly isn't a prerequisite:

(note the bike and tankstand).

There was specific mention in the criteria for the Hedges and Borders comp recognising that these often benefit from a bit more effort than some other parts of the garden.

The objective is to encourage members to enter their best photos that fit the theme so that others get ideas and where appropriate we can use the photos to show what particular plants look like and how they can be used.

As the number of entries continue to grow it is inevitable that the standard will get higher - that is the nature of competitions, but hopefully each individual will get better at taking photos by seeing what others have done and taking note of the tips that have been posted. The secret is not to limit yourself unneccessarily by making the wrong assumptions about what is required to win - you don't need an established garden, you don't need a big garden, you don't even need your own garden but it does help to have a nice photo!

Finally, if you enter to win rather than to have fun then these probably aren't the competitions for you. :) :)
ian
Site Admin

Postby Mister Wisteria » Wed May 30, 2007 11:19 am

Well said Ian, the best part about these competitions is you get to see heaps of different gardens and idea's. We all like to win (occasionally) but just being in the race is a plus in its self. :D
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Wed May 30, 2007 11:23 am

Finally, if you enter to win rather than to have fun then these probably aren't the competitions for you.

This is what it's all about I reckon. Enter for fun regardless if you are a new gardener or an experienced one, and most of all to be happy for the winners and to enjoy "viewing" their achievements. :wink:

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed May 30, 2007 11:41 am

Without going back through the old comps, that second pic (that Ian posted)looks like it is perhaps one of Marion's?! It's stunning, regardless of who it belongs to!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Wed May 30, 2007 11:51 am

Yes Pam, I do miss pics of Marrion's awesome garden. As was mentioned in another thread, perhaps Ian (and/ or the GE team) could consider setting up another section titled: "Inspirations"? Just a little suggestion, many may not agree with me. :oops:

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Wed May 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Comeilotei, I think it's a fantastic suggestion, but to my thinking, administering it would be a nightmare.

For instance, how would it be decided what pics should go there? If it is simply to be left to each member whether his or her pics should go there, it would simply become a replacement of the gallery.

Secondly, if a gallery were to be set aside for what the members as a group considered inspirational and iconic pics, my personal feeling would be that follow-up discussion should be fairly limited, as in theory, the discussion would already have taken place elsewhere.

In fact, if people were happy to not have discussion at all, a thread could easily be set up and stickied at the top of the gallery.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Wed May 30, 2007 7:15 pm

If as has been stated, it is not necessary that the photos be of members' own gardens, the photo could be submitted by someone who has never attempted gardening , but just likes taking photos. In other words, it would be a photography forum, not a gardening forum. Discussion then would be on cameras, lighting, filters, etc. Although many members are keen on photography, they probably joined these forums for gardening discussion and ideas. There are plenty of photography sites and it would be a great shame if photograpy were to be given precedence over gardening here.

I do not think the 'concern' was about winning competitions. I feel it had more to do with maintaining the high standard of interest in gardening and not allowing the desire to win competitions become a focus.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 pm

I agree with your comments Ab but I'm sure the ppls at GE are aware of that fact and I'm yet to see any entries here(maybe the odd 1 or 2) that are not regular posters and ppls have seen many pics and others postings and topics from there own gardens . :roll:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu May 31, 2007 5:26 am

If as has been stated, it is not necessary that the photos be of members' own gardens, the photo could be submitted by someone who has never attempted gardening , but just likes taking photos. In other words, it would be a photography forum, not a gardening forum.

Abwal, as Ian said, it is a PHOTO competetion, not a gardening competition. GE's reason for existence is to sell plants, and they do not hide the fact that they use, and want, our pics for their catalogues.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Thu May 31, 2007 10:18 am

Yes, Pam. I did read Ian's post. But if we look at the top of this page we see it is headed "Garden Forums". I am also aware that Garden Express offers these forums as a favour to gardeners and not as a right. However, it would be a shame if keen amateur gardeners have their gardens compared with the gardens of professionals. We do not expect to win these competitions and I feel sure that most would agree that entering them and seeing the work of other members should be what it is all about. I wonder how many will want to put their gardens up against professionals.

I am also aware that Garden Express sells plants, etc. and that they use some photos for their catalogues with our full permission. Will this same permission be available for photos of professional work?
Last edited by abwal on Thu May 31, 2007 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu May 31, 2007 10:22 am

aB If you are in the running for a prize GE sends you an email requesting a master copy of your pic, and I'm guessing here, if you cant provide the pic and permission for them to use it you loose it :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Patricia » Thu May 31, 2007 10:47 am

Feel I have to support Abwal in everything he says...& I don't think that we all post in these competitions "to win".. I know I personally get a lot of pleasure & iideas from the "gallery side" of the GE Forums....but when it comes to the comps I find that I am more impressed with the pics that depict our own garden & our own hard work... sadly I too think that GE could encounter probs if they were to publish say an "open garden pic" without the owners permission...again I have to say the pics shown on this site be they a members garden or a public garden are all inspirational!!!
Tai Chi - Mind, body and spirit are all exercised simultaneously. The continuous flowing movements of Tai Chi are based on the principle that running water never stagnates. The gentle movements relax your muscles while strengthening your body and mind.
Patricia
Gardening Sage

Postby Mister Wisteria » Thu May 31, 2007 10:47 am

abwal wrote: I am also aware that Garden Express sells plants, etc. and that they use some photos for their catalogues with our full permission. Will this same permission be available for photos of professional work?

I was wondering about that Ab, maybe the competitions should only be of your own garden and all the other pics just put in garden gallery or what ever. I would hate to miss any of the pics. Can't say I though that much of the current competition when I first saw it, no great interest to me. Changed my mind very quickly, some of the pics have been exceptional, not just the professional gardens either. :D It all just seems to be getting a bit hard. :roll:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu May 31, 2007 11:03 am

Lets face it it is s trill to win, howver I have gotten a bigger kick out of seeing my hot chocolate pic used in the Autumn Cat, page 4, and was not a winner than getting a prise for my Red P. rose, and the rose was found in a bin from a client who owns a nursery and I sent him a copy and he was tickled pink as well, when I brought it home it looked like it should have stayed in the bin but with many months of looking after she is now amongst my favs.

I have made it quite clear to GE they are welcomed to use any of my pics at anytime for the catalogue :P

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/ ... G_8934.jpg
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Thu May 31, 2007 11:51 am

Gorgeous pic of Hot Choc TheE, didn't realise it was yours! Well done!

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby tilly » Thu May 31, 2007 12:20 pm

It has been interesting reading everyones thoughts on this......to be honest I didn't realise that this was more of photo comp as oppossed to gardening.....I basically agree with Abwal re photo sites but it is Ian's comp and he has explained to us exactly what is and isn't allowed which is a good thing....
For me personally there is no way I would put a photo from an open garden in the gallery or the comp.......when in Tassies recently I took heaps of photos at an open garden....the lady knew I was taking photos but I would not use them for any thing other then my personal use without the womans permission .....last week I gave a lady permission to take photo's of my house for a historical book and I would be dissappointed if she used them for another purpose...then again I presume it would be okay in public places parks etc...though what about a place like Hunter Valley Gardens where it is a private business and is open to the paying public...

Like everyone else I enjoy viewing and entering the comps....not with a view to win but I like the spirit of it.... being involved.... I like to look at the photos of others gardens and quite often when people enter you can feel the pride they feel in their little paradise....
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt. ~Author Unknown
tilly
Gardening Sage

Postby Greenleaves » Thu May 31, 2007 1:26 pm

I realised when I entered the competition that it really was a photo competition although I just chose a photo from my bucket - no special photography.

I am disappointed that we are not judged on our personal prided gardens. But still I've been really inspired by all the entries & have gathered a lot of hedge/edge ideas that I can use.

Maybe I'm different from everyone else but I have found myself thinking how treasured the prize wd be in my/our drought stricken circumstances.
Plants are at the bottom of the list when it comes to survival! (altho I do sneak a couple in now & then shhhh) :P

Was glad of that link to Govt. rebate of $50 - hope to buy some tuba trees with that.
Greenleaves
Curator

Previous

Return to Hedges and Borders 2007 Photo Competition