GardenBedHead

This is the Garden Express Garden Features 2007 Photo Competition. Entrants need to be Garden Express Forum members. Please refer to the Competition Terms & Conditions (updated) and the specific Judging Criteria and Prize announcements. Entries closed 15th August 2007 - winners announced.

GardenBedHead

Postby Ophelia » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:23 pm

I was hoping I'd get this finished in time to enter the comp!
(click the pics for bigger versions)

It started out as a plain white bedhead (scored on ebay for 50c!) and because it was the shape of a sun rising over the horizon, I wanted to paint it with something sun inspired, so googled for sun gods/goddesses and ended up reading about the aboriginal sun goddess, Yhi. Her story tells of how she woke up all the plants and animals back when the world was still in darkness.

So, the design I came up with has Yhi in the centre, (with some crazy, flame coloured hair), with her arms stretching out either side, with representatives from the different animal groups, (fish, lizard, possum, bird and ants), and you can kinda see in the second pic that there are tree branches in flower reaching up from the bottom corners.

Finished it off with a construction of wire mesh along the top to act as the sun's rays and there you have it!

I've actually got another old bedhead that I've painted up (different design) which I'm gonna use as a shade cover for another gardenbed. Gotta stick some legs on it though. And I just got 2 more bedheads, (more ebay buys) today, which will eventually stand at either end of another gardenbed, but I have no idea how I'm gonna paint those ones yet.

Anyway, moral of the story, if you've got an old bedhead lying around, make it pretty and turn it into a garden feature! ;)
Ophelia
Curator

Postby Mister Wisteria » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:36 pm

Oh I do like that, 8) 8) 8) great imagination and boy did it come up well. :D 8) :D
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby Primmie » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Thats stunning - so beautiful and natural - well done I am envious of anyone who can paint like that.

I cant wait to see what you do with Hebel :) :) :)
"The risk it takes to remain tight inside the bud is more painful than the risk it takes to blossom"
Anais Nin
Primmie
Curator

Postby DAFF » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:57 pm

:shock: WOW what an inventive person you are, it is lovely :D
DAFF
Senior Curator

Postby The Estate » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:46 am

WOW you is very clever :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: Love the colours you chose and it looks great, WELL DONE :P
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby tilly » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:41 am

Ophelia there is so much I like about this....shows your off your creativity,artistic skills, tells a story, looks great....I think Thees wow is spot on.... :) :)
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt. ~Author Unknown
tilly
Gardening Sage

Postby Luzy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:12 pm

What an artist! :D The wire mesh is a great way to finish it off. (Y)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:33 pm

Certainly adds colour and is bound to be a talking point.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Comeilotei » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Another talented artist on the forum!!! Very very nice Ophelia, you are very creative! Love the colours, let alone the very clever idea!!! :D :D :D

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby Ophelia » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:12 pm

:oops: Thanks for the compliments, everyone. :oops:

Primmie wrote:I cant wait to see what you do with Hebel :) :) :)

You and me both! :lol: The only time I've ever sculpted anything was in art class in high school when we had to carve something from lumps of plaster, so who knows how the hebel sculpture is gonna go!

Luzy wrote:What an artist! :D The wire mesh is a great way to finish it off. (Y)

Thanks! The wire mesh was quite easy to construct, but took ages to attach. I've used small chunks of wood (about 12cm x 4cm) and stuck one at the base of each of the large "sun rays" using Liquid Nails, with the wire mesh sandwiched in between the piece of wood and the bedhead. Because I had to get the curve right, I had to wait for each one to set properly before I could move onto the next. Quite time consuming, but worth it in the end. I'd intended to do something quick and simple, but ended up getting a bit carried away. :lol:
Ophelia
Curator

Postby Luzy » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:18 pm

Ahh, but so satisfying, I'd bet. 8)
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby Ophelia » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Luzy wrote:Ahh, but so satisfying, I'd bet. 8)

It's always satisfying when it works. ;)

The great thing about the colours is that during winter when most gardens are lacking bright colours.....you still have plenty.

Good point. Hadn't even thought of that! If only the ground behind it were still green instead of a lovely brown dust bowl. :? My neighbour has a white cat who comes to my place everyday and rolls around in the dust where my lawn used to be. He doesn't look so white when he heads home. ;)

I'm thinking I'll probably have my new set of GardenBedHeads done before I get to the hebel. They look like this....
....and I've got all these shells that I've been meaning to make into a windchime but just haven't gotten around to it. So I've made the executive decision to suspend groups of shells in the gaps between the railings of the bed ends, turning them into part garden feature, part windchimes. Now I've just gotta master the art of drilling little holes in shells without breaking them.
Ophelia
Curator

Postby Comeilotei » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:27 pm

You are very talented Ophelia! Hope you are able to show us the end product of your latest project above!!!

Comeilotei
Comeilotei
Plant a garden and you plant happiness!
Comeilotei
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 pm

a beautiful and creative piece of recycling. I like :D
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby malbec » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:08 pm

Very artistic Ophelia! It looks great. I'm jealous...I have no artistic bones in my body.

Bec
malbec
Head Curator

Postby Ophelia » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:29 pm

Comeilotei wrote:You are very talented Ophelia! Hope you are able to show us the end product of your latest project above!!!

I'll keep you posted and take some pics of it when it's done. ;)

Very artistic Ophelia! It looks great. I'm jealous...I have no artistic bones in my body.

I don't reckon you need to be all that artistic to turn a bedhead into a garden feature. Mine woulda looked just as striking with random brush strokes of red, yellow and orange, (but I had to make it complicated :lol: ).

Actually, I should see if I can get a closeup pic of the background colour, because all I did was squirt out some orange paint and some yellow paint directly onto the bedhead, then ran a brush through both colours to spread them out to cover the area, (did the same thing with Yhi's dress down the middle, only with red and yellow paint instead), resulting in a marbled kind of effect with the blending of the colours. Nothing tricky or artistic about it, so anyone could do it. ;)
Ophelia
Curator

Return to Garden Features 2007 Photo Competition