Activity on this forum

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

groundcovers

Postby grevs1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:12 pm

hi colin
just to put my 2 bobs worth in...lol....just reading you are looking for prostrate things to go with your roses....have you ever thought of a prostrate erimophila !??? ..i have one here its called killarney carpet or something like that..it is an evergreen or better silver foliged groundcover with lovely little yellow flowers which are coming on now....would set your deep green foliage off lovely with the silver below ????..what do you think..... will take the camera out with me to take a picture of it..or even there are a few lovely winterflowering groundcover-grevilleas which may suit..... one is "winter delight" has siver grey tiny foliage and lovely red-whitish tiny flower clumps in winter.........
there is another groundcover to 30cm its called "ember-glow" has normal green foliage and has bright red flowers for months on end...... !!! anyway....or "nodding violets"........ they cascade down and in flower right now !... :-)
grevs1
Head Curator

Re: Activity on this forum

Postby ColinM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Grevs - that's a lot for two bob :D - that's great Grevs - some excellent alternatives there - yes, a photo of prostrate erimophila would be really appreciated! Will have a google (web version of gander :mrgreen: ) at your other suggestions (Y)
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby grevs1 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:53 pm

hi colin again..here comes the rest of my 2 bobs worth.... :D ...
just took a few pics for you........but yes i think there are quite a few choices for you i think.....actually there are about 20 groundcover-grevilleas or there is a little leptospermum "love affair" which is hardy and only about 20cm high and makes a nice clump with pink flowers.........or any creeping sedums or even succulants would look wonderful, easy to look after and contrast lovely with your roses or even small "cupheas" which grow to about 50cm high with lovely tiny white flowers most of the year
P6140014.JPG
another varigated mint-relative ??
......... see the list is nearly endless !
P6140025.JPG
erimophila groundcover
P6140013.JPG
some sort of ornamental mint....grows like weed anywhere...unusual blue-ish flowers !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby ColinM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks heaps grevs for taking the time and trouble to post up those pics! :D (Y)

Hmmm, not sure silver foliage (in this particular case) is what I'm after and SWMBO will probably not be keen on mint :D
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Bumblebee » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi, Me too! I love my roses and would welcome some new friends to chat with about roses. Bumblebee
Bumblebee
Lawn trimmer

Postby ColinM » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Sorry folk, have been very quiet in here lately :oops: .

SOOO many things going on in our lives - 2 daughters got married this year - the bank account had to spent a week in E&R :lol: .

Just recently got back from the second wedding in Coral Bay - 3,500 plus kilometres ! :shock:

Resigned from my day job (hated it anyway) and now concentrating full time on my computing business, getting our boat ready for sale, trying to get out fishing before we do sell it, researching into buying two Kayaks, a number of Website Clients to deal with and catch up with, plus a large site computing upgrade (with some issues :-? ) plus major exterior house renovations planned by the wife when we sell the boat, plus "you are at home now, so you can do more house work and meals" (guess who from :-P ) AND, last but not least - GARDENING!!! :-@

In my defence of the very latter - the Garden was (still is) looking like an unkept and overgrown wasteland at the moment - so I spent the whole day whipper snipping yesterday and got about 25% of it tidied up - more to do when my aging back recovers :-P

I'd post an updated pic of our tiered roses, but the weeds in the forground would open me to a serious lambasting :oops: :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Quenda » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:48 am

Have you thought about putting bulbs in between the roses for winter colour, Colin? They will be a bit messy when the leaves die down, but then will be gone for summer when the roses are looking stunning.
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby ColinM » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 am

Hi Quenda,

Not a bad idea and thank you for the thought and input 8)

But even in full bloom, I'm still leaning towards an evergreen, prostrate/cascading perenial.

Still, I might change my mind towards your thoughtful suggestion.

What would you suggest?
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby JNarelle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Colin, how about erigeron or acalypha hispida, both will cascade, they are easy to propogate, and are both drought tolerant and easily maintained. :D Personally i like to grow alyssum under the roses because they attract beneficial insects that help keep the aphids at bay, but they are only annuals so need replacing regularly.

JNarelle
Curator

Postby ColinM » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 am

Hi JNarelle!

Both excellent suggestions - will certainly keep them in mind - thanks you for your input. :D
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby JNarelle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:23 am

here's a pic of my recent Peace blooms
JNarelle
Curator

Postby ColinM » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:37 am

[quote="JNarelle"]here's a pic of my recent Peace blooms[quote]

They look stunning! :D
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby charlie_bruno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Lambsears worked well for me. Self seeding from the pretty lilac flowers. Watering conditions are similar to roses. And I love the contrast of textures
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Postby ColinM » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 am

Cheers charlie_bruno - interesting idea - certainly a substantial contrast 8)
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Previous

Return to Roses