Activity on this forum

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Activity on this forum

Postby chrisval7 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi everyone.
I am new to this forum and my only real interest at present is the field of roses. I am new to roses and keen to gain as much knowledge as possible. But this section of the forum doesn't seem to be very active. Are there few rosarians out there?

I would love to exchange views with others about their roses, and to share ideas or pick peoples' brains. Where is everyone!?
Chris
Christine
chrisval7
Lawn trimmer

Re: Activity on this forum

Postby Getafix » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris

I personally don't know a lot about roses and don't have any in my garden as yet, but there are quite few regulars on this forum that do seem to know quite a bit. Sometimes you will find here that activity can be a bit variable for certain members, including myself, as work, family, study commitments and of course garden projects wax and wane. There's no harm in posting your topics, so i reckon just give it a go and see what replies you get. Also make sure you search for old posts that may have answered the question you have.

One of the good things about this forum is that you can "View new posts" which will show you all the new posts since you last logged in, and this will be across all the sections, even the ones you may not normally be interested in. There's also the option to "View unread posts" (ie ones you haven't actually clicked on to read yet) and "View unanswered posts" which are the ones no one has replied to. These options mean that even if people are away from the forum for a while they will probably find your post eventually and be able to offer some advice.

Stick around...maybe with time you'll become the resident rose expert and can help people in the same situation as you next time!!
Check my garden out on MyFolia:

http://myfolia.com/gardener/Getafix
Getafix
Curator

Postby Lou » Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 am

Hi Chris, and welcome. I have quite a few roses but not that much knowledge to share, I'm just starting off with them really. There are others here who no doubt will answer your queries. I do admire your taste.
:D Roses are just beautiful.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown
Lou
Gardener

Postby daffy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Yes we've been a bit sluggish, no new pics on Thees rose of the week for 9 months!!

What do you want to know?

Basics- best bought bare rooted in Winter.

1. Roses need 6-8hrs of sun a day
2. They prefer good organic rich soil
3. They love regular applications of fish enulsion direct to foliage during the growing season and a couple of applications of IMPACT for roses per season.
4. Deep water weekly is better than daily watering.
5. They need good air cirulation to keep the bugs at bay.
6. Although blackspot looks unsightly it won't kill the bush
7. You will need to go to war on aphids.

My personal top 7 for beginners- for garden worthiness, form and fragrance are:

Mr Lincoln-red
The Childrens Rose-pink
Elina- cream
Double Delight-white/cream edged red
Just Joey-orange
Friesa- yellow
Charles de gualle-purple

Climbers- Pierre de ronsard(white edged pink) and Albertine (pinky apricot-divine!), Crepuscule-apricot
Hedgers- The Fairy-pink, Seafoam-white

David Austin roses are very beautiful but do not grow well for everyone.

If you go back through this forum you'll get a lot of info.
Never believe anyone who says your proposed garden is too big!!!

Remember, treat others how you would like to be treated.
daffy
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:39 pm

hi all
i joined the forum only a few months ago and everybody is so nice.....i have to say i am not really into roses..but i did have a lovely australian bred one which was orangy-apricot colour and had as good as no problems like black spot and all that..so i was very happy........a few month ago a friend gave me a little cutting from her grandmothers rose and i would love to know what sort it is..as it doesn't seem to be a longstem one nor a miniature rose..somehow inbetween..and the colour is totally stunning..i will attach pic of it,if i find it !!!......... so if anyone knows what this one is ..would be lovely to know !..thanks
P6100002-1.JPG
rose from sherrie
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Barbara B » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi,
that could be Elmshorn. You could look it up on HelpMeFind.
Barbara B
Barbara B
Head Gardener

rose id

Postby grevs1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:12 pm

thank you so much ..i will look there and hopefully find the right one........
grevs1
Head Curator

rose ID

Postby grevs1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:32 pm

hi barbara B
well i just looked on your sugested site..and i think you've hit it on the spot......... well description and colour and all sounds like it is this one.....thank you so much !!!..funny..as this elmshorn is bred by a german.....lol......... as i am ex-german as well !!! :-)
it sure has a wonderful rich colour, hasn't it !
Attachments
P7260008.JPG
"elmshorn" fully opened !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby grevs1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:33 pm

sorry that pic was the wrong one..my other friend gave me this one...........!! don't know its name either.... lol
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby ColinM » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Chris!

I guess we are reaching the dorment stage of roses, at least over here in WA.

Heres a pic from my Garden development thread:

and one of my favourites "Satchmo":

Hope that helps - definately agree with Taff (hi mate! (Y) ) - good organic soil when you are starting off is the way to go I find.
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Pam » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:54 am

That's looking awesome, Colin.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby ColinM » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks Pam! :D - That was a few months ago - they've now gone into Winter mode - I posted this up to convice Chris that there's plenty of rose lovers in here :D
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

oh wow

Postby grevs1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:29 am

hi colin
all i can say is oh wow......... nearly makes me love roses again !!! no serious..that looks totally fabulous...... how you have them staggered down that slope..bet gives you optimal exposure !!! and better angles to admire them !! and seeing your favorite in close up..it sure is a stunner !!! but i guess over in WA its not so humid and suits roses better than up here !
you have to put another few pics up in spring when they "wake up" again !!!!!
am glad to have joined this forum...so many different things to see and explore......... and its nicer to see things in "normal" garden-settings than just in nurseries !......... :-)
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby ColinM » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:36 am

Hi and thanks grevs for your very kind comments 8) I'm down in the south of WA, so yes, humidity is not usually a problem. Yup, will post some more pics up when, as you say, they wake up again. (Y)

(..and yes, it's a great forum with a wealth of info and knowledge, mixed with a great desire to help each other - a wonderful combination :D )
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Lou » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Not all of mine have gone to sleep yet, which is strange considering how cold it's been at night. Isn't this the time of year we rose addicts talk about all the nice new ones we've bought? :D
Attachments
IMG_7498.JPG
Just Joey
IMG_7347.JPG
Kronenburg
IMG_7447.JPG
Apricot Nectar
Lou
Gardener

Postby ColinM » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Lou! :D

They are SO beautiful! Great that you have such full blooms at this time of year!
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Lou » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:04 am

Thanks, Colin. I have some roses still with plenty of foliage, others are totally bare, and Jude The Obscure has half a dozen buds struggling to find enough sun to make it worthwhile flowering. I wish it would either do it or decide to take a rest, watching for a bloom is akin to living in hope and (maybe) dying in despair. :D
Lou
Gardener

Postby ColinM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:55 am

A pleasure Lou! Know what you mean :D - it's sad to watch 'our babies' gradually loose all there blooms - but as we know, it won't be long before the 'vicious' (and necessary) pruning comes along. :lol: Then we'll have four banks of stalks - a perfect time perhaps to get the companion plants underway. Yet to decide on what to plant, but something that will contrast the various blooms and that is prostrate and cascading would be nice. Open to suggestions? :-?
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Lou » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:31 am

Two things in this photo might cascade a bit if allowed, Colin, and they are Evening Scented Stocks(Matthiola) and Petunias of course.
Attachments
IMG_8390.JPG
Lou
Gardener

Postby ColinM » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 am

Cheers Lou, but I'm chasing something more postrate and perennial - not bi/annual. Perhaps also with an alternative flowering season to roses - it would be ideal if they flowered all year round - but maybe that's asking too much :lol:
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Next

Return to Roses