Propagating Roses - an exercise in laziness

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Propagating Roses - an exercise in laziness

Postby GoldenWattle » Tue May 03, 2011 7:24 pm

I would hazard to guess that some time in March, I cut a couple of burgundy red rose stems for my lovely wife. After a week, most of the petals dropped off. I took the vase outside and forgot about it. I kept meaning to throw them away, but never prioritised it. While the top has browned and wilted, the bottom is still green and new shoots have sprouted. Roots are also starting to develop. I remember asking in a post why popping cuttings in water isn't a commonly discussed method of propagation - it's worked for me previously with proteas and now again without even trying.

I've removed a lot of roses from my garden because I prefer native plants. There's some though which I've resisted digging out because they're quite pretty when they flower. I gave away the roses I dug out to a friend - some have survived and some have died. If I manage to successfully propagate the nice ones, I won't feel as bad if pull them out and create a rose bed somewhere else. I think they'd make excellent gifts for friends too...

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Re: Propagating Roses - an exercise in laziness

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:12 pm

do you think that was more a "fluke:....to get roots on like that on a rose ????? :wink:
but that is nice to get some special ones like that !!!!
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby GoldenWattle » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 pm

One of our family friends does most of her cuttings in water. I followed her lead by keeping a protea cutting in a vase for 3 months for it to get roots. It's doing well out in the garden now (planted out last spring). I didn't care for the rose in a vase and with the cold weather it died. I'm not convinced doing cuttings in water is a fluke though.

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby grevs1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:05 pm

oh wow
that is amazing !!!! i didn't think one can keep a plant alive so long in a vase.....??? but i guess you changed the water every day ???? ....otherwise it surely would go mouldy !!!......
pitty i didn't know this a few months ago as my girlfriend brought up some proteas for me......... i still have them as a dry arrangement, as i just can't bring myself to just throw them out........ they look ok..well to me anyway....!!! :lol:
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:20 am

It's possible, GW, but not reliable as a means of propagating roses, hence the more traditionally used methods.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Many cuttings can be successfully 'struck' in water. My mother used this method only and had great success with variety of plants.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Return to Roses