Pruning Roses

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Pruning Roses

Postby katski13 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Everyone,

I live in the southern tablelands NSW and we are still getting the occasional frost. I have about 8 roses that need pruning ( this is however my first year of pruning them myself- so I am a newbie really). They are all getting new shoots on them- when should I prune them? Do I wait till we arent getting any frosts?

I have one rose in particular that I need to really care for, it was bought to remember my very much loved Cavalier Leah. Its called Best Friend! :) Unfortunately last year I had a bit of black spot on it and some mouldy stuff, I am hoping this time round I can keep her disease free! Ater I have pruned it should I spray it perhaps?

TIA

Kate
katski13
Cultivator

Re: Pruning Roses

Postby Lou » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:46 pm

It's probably getting late to prune, Kate, although it's not that many weeks since mine were done. I don't think you need to worry about frosts, roses survive the snow in cold counrtries. Best Friend is a beautiful rose, I bought it and placed it in front of the grave of one of my dogs here too. :D Is yours in a sheltered spot? Could be less prone to Black Spot if it's in the open, with full sunshine. I personally wouldn't spray it until I saw signs of BS, but others may disagree.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown
Lou
Gardener

Re: Pruning Roses

Postby katski13 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi Lou

Thank you for your reply. I gave them all a prune 2 weeks ago, so I will see how they go :) My Best Friend rose is in the open, and thankfully is looking nice and healthy, so I hope it stays this way from now on :) It didnt flower much last year but I hope to get lots of flowers off it this year!
katski13
Cultivator

Return to Roses