Diseases

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Diseases

Postby katski13 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Everyone

Last year I had trouble with the two spotted mites on my roses.... and it appears to be back this year :( I also look to be getting black spot as well.

I make sure I water carefully not hitting the leaves as I know that doesnt help black spot and watering in the morning rather than at night. I have also fertilised them and pruned them about 1 month or so ago- what else can I do ? Could it be possible the soil is missing something and my roses arent healthy enough to withstand the diseases?

I have sprayed the 2 with the 2 spotted mites today with the yates rose gun spray but is there something else that people recommend so I can get on top of these diseases?

TIA
katski13
Cultivator

Re: Diseases

Postby greg.l » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:47 am

Unfortunately 2 spotted mite is an indication that you have been over-using insect sprays. It is best controlled by predatory insects in your garden, but if you use insecticides the predatory insects get killed and take longer to build up their population. Mites can breed very quickly so you have to keep spraying and stuck on the roundabout. It is best to use insecticides very sparingly in the garden, and try to use targeted ones like dipel for caterpillars.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby ivan78 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Going on from what Greg was saying, are the roses close to a wall or shed? if so then spider mites will thrive there as they love the heat from the wall.

I agree with Greg, using chemical's might be the only way to keep them at bay.

Good luck!
ivan78
Pruner

Postby neptune » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:25 am

unfortunately bs can't be stopped because it is not the watering that affects them. Have you noticed in nurseries they have above watering systems and still get bs. From your major prune in winter, you can spray with triforine every 7-10 days to keep it at bay. Just remember after it rains and you have a few days that a dry.......give them a spray to cover them because the rain washed off the last lot.....as for spider mites there are a few products on the market,...but make sure you spray under the leaves and in the joints of branches
neptune
Pruner

Postby Temora140 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Try using a Garlic spray for the mites and Bicarb spray for the Black spot, all natural and your garden will benefit from the lack of chemicals being used. Plus you won't kill all the benefical bugs. Both spray need to be used regulary and reapplied after rain.
Temora140
Gardener

Return to Roses