Scale pest. MYO spray

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Scale pest. MYO spray

Postby Geoff Clifton » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 am

I'm bringing a rose back to life at La Perouse that was just about starved to death and literally covered in white scale. Ted confirmed the scale and recommended white oil. I made my own with 2 Dsp olive oil and 1 Dsp washing up liquid in a 750mm spray bottle with water. We'll see if it works but I have to ask Ted if dead scale looks different to live scale.

Looking for a recipe I also came across this on Swane's. It suggests bicarb and pest oil for early prevention treatment of black spot.

DISEASE CONTROLS Black spot is a major rose disease and for control to be effective, spray applications should begin when the first leaves appear in spring, with follow up sprays during summer and autumn. Recommended chemical products are Triforine, Mancozeb Plus and Baycor. It may be necessary to alternate these products if one or either becomes ineffective in control. Organic Control is effective when used as a preventative immediately leaves begin to develop. Mix to a paste 3 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda and disperse into 4.5 litres of water to which 2.5 tablespoons of PEST OIL has been added. Spray three times within the first two weeks of leaf development and then weekly thereafter. Spray till the plant is dripping with the mixture.

Rust may be controlled with Baycor.

White Rose Scale should be sprayed with lime sulphur in winter and Pest Oil in summer.

INSECT CONTROLS

Aphid &Thrip (including Western Flower Thrip)

Both aphid and thrip are capable of transmitting diseases to other rose plants. Organic products such as pyrethrum, Baythroid and Confidor are effective for infestations of small number. Large infestations may require the use of stronger chemical sprays such as Folimat, Rogor and Mavrik. Use strictly in accordance with directions and follow precautions like wearing gloves etc., Pest Oil when used in accordance with directions is also an effective control of aphid.

Fuller's Rose Weevil can be controlled with Confidor.

Cheers, Geoff.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Re: Scale pest. MYO spray

Postby grevs1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:09 pm

thank you very much for your very helpful tips
as for the homegardener the choices and different makes are incredible numerous and very confusing sometimes..... (Y) (Y)
and i can only stress also to wear at least gloves for portection while mixing any chemicals !!!

1 part milk and 9 parts of water plus few drops of dishwashing detertent is also very handy for controlling any sucking insects ! less chemicals !
grevs1
Head Curator

Postby Pam » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:56 am

Geoff, a dessertspoon seems a lot of detergent in 750ml a spray bottle - it won't burn anything?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Geoff Clifton » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Maybe Pam and I must say that I have a few brown edges on new growth BUT we had close to 100Km/h winds last week. I sprayed every second day and ........ dah dah ..... zee scale it'sa dead and dropped off!

The rose in question is a 25 year old grafted 'Jasmine'. The graft was cut off years ago and is about 60cm across with new growth (not root stock) from the sides. It has two flower buds and the new growth is looking good. If I make the mix again I shall halve the detergent but I reckon I can tell you that olive oil makes effective white oil. And no gloves needed :D

Cheers, Geoff.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Postby muddy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:33 am

Folimat, Rogor and Mavrik be real careful using these chemicals something the big nursery's use but you should use a throw away white suit and gloves and shoes if you get a good dose as i have seen with a friend years ago can make you quite sick like the plants you are treating.
muddy
Pruner

Return to Roses