Help....Are my Roses dying?

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Re: Help....Are my Roses dying?

Postby HeyIts007 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:06 am

Temora140 wrote:Yes test your pH, I have a test meter but I paid over $200.00 for it

200 bucks for a soil meter ? I got a 4 in 1 soil meter online for $24.95 plus postage. It's an electronic digital soil meter and measures pH, moisture, temperature and has a light meter. You might think being cheap it's no good, however it really is quite good for my needs. I've had it for 12 months and it's still going fine. Not a hiccup and still on its original 9 Volt battery.
HeyIts007
Cultivator

Postby Temora140 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Hey, Most cheap digital pH and soil moisture tester are out by a fair bit when tested against Factory calibrated units. But if you are happy with it then thats fine. I need mine so I can be guarnteed that my results are correct, as I do this sort of thing for a living.
Temora140
Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:04 pm

here, here, to spotting the pots, Geoff. That will certainly be a good deal of the problem.

PS Can you share your recipe for homemade white oil?
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Geoff Clifton » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:17 pm

MYO White Oil

In a 500ml spray bottle I put 2 desert spoons of olive oil and 1 dsp of washing up liquid. Filled with lukewarm water and shook vigorously.

I could have probably used less wul as I only guessed the proportions but it worked very well. The old rose was totally encrusted with scale. I drenched it twice a week for 2-3 weeks. It took a while for the dead scale to all fall off but the bush came good. Not looking great at the moment but it is winter.

Geoff..
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Thanks for that Geoff. I'll have a fiddle next time I spot the scale.

I have never had roses, mainly because I think they are too much trouble, but was given a standard Freesia yellow rose as a house-warming gift several years ago and it refuses to die no matter how neglectful I am (to a point...obviously I pay the penalty if I don't check for die-back, etc). So, when the local nursery had the same type of rose on special, I thought, "Why not?". Bad year this year (for everything, not just roses) and I have been fighting moulds across the whole garden. Beans gone to rust, peas to mould, tomatoes only just hanging in there as I keep stripping the spotty leaves so the fruit can finish before the plant gives up the ghost. At least I have been able to spray the roses with sulphur.
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Elijah Magarey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:29 pm

It looks like:
-Your rose plant is 2 to 3 year old
-Highly affected by sun rays
-Soil is not change from long duration of time
so I would like to suggest you:
- Cut your rose plants in slice wise direction
-Use organic fertilizers
-Add some crunches and cow dunk in your fertilizers
These will help alot in growth of your rose plant.
jimsmowing
Elijah Magarey
Pruner

Previous

Return to Roses