Fertiliser for Roses

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Fertiliser for Roses

Postby amanda709 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 am

Hi,

I have 2 very sad rose bushes (couldn't even tell you what they were) that need help. Someone suggested fertilising with a slow release product, I think they mentioned Rocky Point Mulching's organic fertilisers.

Has anyone tried this?

Is there any other suggestions?
amanda709
Apprentice

Re: Fertiliser for Roses

Postby JNarelle » Wed May 09, 2012 8:00 pm

I've always found blood and bone dug in around the plant has good results. I buy the poor old left behind bare rooted roses at the end of the season when they are discounted, and i can always revive them, i think blood and bone is a gentle fertiliser. :)
JNarelle
Curator

Postby Geoff Clifton » Mon May 21, 2012 11:28 pm

My Uncle is a rose fanatic and the local nursery advised he would be hard pressed to over fertilise as they are gross feeders and love dynamic lifter. His garden proves it. I forked about 2Kg to a m2 around a nearly dead 25 year old yellow jasmine rose and it fired back up beautifully.

Geoff.
Geoff Clifton
Head Gardener

Postby Lou » Wed May 23, 2012 2:41 am

I was recently told one should fertilise them during every month with an R in it. Not during Winter in other words. I use Dynamic Lifter, sometimes a slow release Rose Food, and occassionally give them a drink of Seasol. Mulching them with pea straw does wonders too.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown
Lou
Gardener

Postby Temora140 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:08 am

I use dynamic lifter as fertilser and horse manure as mulch, roses love it. I fertilise every month from September to April. To make the beds look a bit better I lay peastraw.
Temora140
Gardener

Postby ivan78 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 pm

I find organic advance works really work for roses. Or digging some bagged cow manure around the root ball works a treat. Just make sure you water in really well :D
ivan78
Pruner

Postby Temora140 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm

I use a Organic mix, basically dynamic lifter plus bloody and bone, plus other stuff. Roses love it, I fertilse every 6 weeks, Spring and Summer just add water.
Temora140
Gardener

Postby daffy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Just another (Y) to the dynamic lifter and blood and bone, foliage feed with fish/seaweed liquids, mulch keeps moisture in longer over summer.
Never believe anyone who says your proposed garden is too big!!!

Remember, treat others how you would like to be treated.
daffy
Gardening Sage

Postby Elijah Magarey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Organic fertilizers are best for rose plants, you can mix general home made fertilizers with cow dunk and crushes of body bone which are avilable in market,this is the best way to improve productivity of rose plants.
jimsmowing
Elijah Magarey
Pruner

Return to Roses