Concerns from an Australian rose breeder... for GE

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Concerns from an Australian rose breeder... for GE

Postby TasV » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Does it bother GE that the rose you publish as Brindabella Rose Peony (http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/brindabella-rose-peony/) was not bred by Brindabella Roses.. it was bred by Chris Warner in the U.K, and was not raised in Qld. It was raised in the U.K. and imported into Australia where it spent its first few years in Fitzroy Falls, NSW. It is not particularly hardy or disease resistant without chemical intervention or a dry hot climate? Does it concern you that Brindabella Roses haven't actually bred any roses at all? They have found two sports... but that's it. Just curious as an Australian rose breeder.
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." -- Abraham Maslow
TasV
Gardening Sage

Re: Concerns from an Australian rose breeder... for GE

Postby Pam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 am

Just to throw my two cents in, it's not uncommon in the plant world for someone to grow a seedling that ends up promising, then sell (or give) the rights to the plant, often including naming rights, to another person.

Is it possible this is what has happened here, or are you saying their claim to it is in dispute?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby TasV » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Very common indeed and not in question. When that occurs, however, it is always acknowledged. My problem, as a breeder, are the false claims that; 1 it was bred by them, 2 it was bred in Australia, 3 it was tested in Qld, and 4 that it is hardy and healthy. I know personally the person who brought it into the country and also know the circumstances by which it managed to get up there... I also have letters from that person stating how disappointed they have been, in general, with the disease resistance of this group of varieties. Having registered my own roses with ICRA-Roses I have access to past records and the claims I see are just wrong. That concerns me and it should concern others.
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." -- Abraham Maslow
TasV
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:40 am

Hmmm. Brindabella actually attributes the rose to Chris. Perhaps whomever has written the copy for the GE listing has taken some 'poetic license' in the writing of it, or was given the wrong information from elsewhere.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Return to Roses