Satchmo Roses Stunted

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

Satchmo Roses Stunted

Postby ColinM » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi All,

For those of you that have been aro9und for a few years, you may recall that we planted 4 varieties of Floribunda roses.

There are four tiers, from top to bottom - Iceberg, Imps, Friendly Fences and Satchmo (at the lowest level)

All grew fantastically in the first summer, but over the last two years , but as each new growing season occurred after an August pruning, the Satchmos are way behind the growth of the other varieties, very stunted, with poor stem, leaf and flower growth (see image below).

They are all planted in exactly the same soil, had exactly the same watering, fertilizing etc.

There's no sign of infestation or other degrading cause.

I thought perhaps the relative depth of the soil - but aren't roses shallow rooted anyway?

Any thoughts?

Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Re: Satchmo Roses Stunted

Postby greg.l » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:20 am

I think it may be bad drainage at the bottom, the roses above will have better drainage. Another cause may be herbicide damage if you are spraying herbicide nearby.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby ColinM » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:39 am

greg.l wrote:I think it may be bad drainage at the bottom, the roses above will have better drainage. Another cause may be herbicide damage if you are spraying herbicide nearby.

Hi Greg, Thanks heaps for your input. Both VERY good thoughts!

I'll check the soil at that level compared to the others to see if drainage is the problem (quite plausible given the coffee rock base) and whilst I haven't sprayed Glyphosate for some time on the flat surface in front for some time, I confess I did a year or so back - very carefully on a still day (won't be doing that again) - but I also sprayed up at the top - maybe the Icebergs are more tolerant.

IF DRAINAGE - Obviously improve drainage - but how would you (or others) suggest I improve drainage in that case?

HERBICIDE DAMAGE - Again a very plausible cause, even with care, the Satchmos could have taken up the glysophate through roots projecting into the area I sprayed carefully :? - is there any way of reversing this? EDIT - I've just done some reading - prognosis is not encouraging - some sources suggest replacement as the only answer - others saying feeding and mulching will remedy over time - thoughts folks?
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby ColinM » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:56 am

Just an update - spoken to the suppliers of our roses and they have advised they will not recover to their former glory and the best way forward is to bite the $ bullet and replace both the soil and the roses :? ah well VERY hard lesson learnt.

(Drainage is fine BTW)
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Quenda » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:40 pm

What is the problem, Colin?
Quenda
Head Gardener

Postby ColinM » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Quenda wrote:What is the problem, Colin?

Not ABSOLUTELY sure Quenda, but Greg may be on the money with regard to accidental herbicide damage as the soil is fine.

I wanted to replace them, (recommended by the supplier) but wife has hit them with rose fertiliser and they have bounced back to some degree, so we will try another season and decide then.
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Postby Enjru » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Good to hear that your Satchmo Roses are making some progress in bouncing back, but just to respond to this remark:

ColinM wrote:...but aren't roses shallow rooted anyway?

Roses are relatively deep-rooted plants, best in soil that is 60cm deep or more. You can get an idea how deep their roots grow by looking at the roots of a bare-rooted rose plant from a reputable rose supplier, and then realize that these roots have all been cut in order to save on some freight space.
Enjru
Propagator

Postby ColinM » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Ahhh - thank you for that Enjru - on both counts - lets hope they bounce back completely.
Dig It!

ColinM

ColinM
Senior Curator

Return to Roses