newbie for roses

This forum is specifically for queries and discussion related to the selection, care and enjoyment of roses.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Bulbinella

newbie for roses

Postby monkeylilyliang » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:16 pm

I just bought some rose seeds from eBay. According to the picture, they are rainbow color. I am not sure whether it should belong to bush roses. The instruction says about cold stratification. I am just wondering whether it is possible to plant straight away. Also, I locate in Melbourne. Would now be a good season to plant roses? I am absolutely a newbie for planting roses. However, I am really interested in planting flowers. Any advices is welcomed.
Thanks !
monkeylilyliang
Apprentice

Re: newbie for roses

Postby greg.l » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:21 am

It is better to give rose seeds cold treatment, you can put them in a container with some damp sand and put them in the fridge until you see the roots appear, then plant them in pots. I don't know if the melbourne winter is cold enough but you could try planting the seeds in a pot and leaving it out over winter, they should germinate in spring. Most people buy roses as plants, they sell them in the supermarkets in winter.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby abwal » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm

This site gives information on 'rainbow roses'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_rose
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby Keo » Thu May 21, 2015 9:30 pm

This is an old scam which bugs me big time. These scammers are still ripping people off and Ebay does nothing about it. Sorry you got conned, try to threaten the seller so you get your money back.
Keo
Groundsperson

Postby imstrong » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:46 am

Hi all I've got a fair few Roses & I know a bit but I'm looking for one Rose but I can't find it & its called Mr President I've looked threw a far few Books & I seam to be not able to find it so can someone help me Please & I'm not shore if this is in the right place ether?
imstrong
Lawn trimmer

Postby dalelesley » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Don't know about the seeds but the plant you should be able to get from Treloar roses or perhaps Garden Express never liked the seed idea to much as you really do not know what your getting. Any way if you can't get it from either those two nurseries you will most likely not get it any where as a plant. I have just received my Black Caviar from Garden Express which was the only place I could get it. Roses should be planted in late June to July (plants that is)
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby dalelesley » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:06 pm

I prune mine at around 45 degs, but there isn't really any set way. The main reason is to allow water etc to run off rather than sit on top which could and does cause disease in your stems. Make sure your cut is to an outside bud as you want the new stem to grow out not into the bush. Any small skinny twiggy type stems remove those as you will not get flowers from them and they are taking up valuable food sauce. Not sure what your aim is with colours I personally like a mix of David Austin Floribundas and Hybrid T's. There are so many gorgeous red roses available it makes so hard to choose. How do you plan to grow them? In pots or in the ground.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby imstrong » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi Dalelesley I've got a few Roses I seam to not find any info on them because these are older Roses & the Names are : Red Gall & Golden years I've looked through Holes salers & No one lists them so can you or any other Members can help me with this Please :-?
imstrong
Lawn trimmer

Postby dalelesley » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Unfortunately many of the beautiful old roses no longer exist they have bee taken over by the more modern roses which are beautiful as well. I had a couple of really old climbers here when we bought our house but sadly was never able to find out what they were, since then they have become so old and very little blooms I was forced to pull them out and replace them with more modern roses. You could try contacting The Rose society of Australia they may be able to shed some light on the dilemma, but unfortunately I am unable to help you any further in regards to these particular roses. Good luck in your search let us know how you got on.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby imstrong » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi Dalelesley I would like to know would a 200mm high Raised Bed be high enough for all Roses because I've got a fair few to put in & I'm on a Pension & I have to count for every bit of my Money plus it does take a bit of soul to fill them as well & the more higher it goes the more $ its going to cost me :-?
imstrong
Lawn trimmer

Postby dalelesley » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:23 pm

100_2699.JPG
Why do you need to put them in raised beds? If you have heavy clay then you would need to remove some of the clay and redo it with a good soil mix. Or plant them in large pots. However roses are pretty hardy plants it takes a lot to kill them. The 40 roses I have in my garden are all planted directly in the ground no raised beds or pots. I have planted them about 1 mtr apart and there are H/T, shrub, roses, modern roses, climbers and of course floribundas. I got my roses just over a year ago now and they have all thrived on what I have been giving them in the way of fertilizers etc. When I prepped my rose bed I did it some months before I got my roses. I first of all cleared the area of all weeds etc then gave it a good dressing of sheep manure blood and bone as well as mushroom mulch. I dug all that in and left it. When my roses came in the July I then dug my holes added some sheep manure, sulphate potash and mushroom mulch back filled a little and mixed it all up then put my rose in. After that I gave it a drink of Power aid and seasol mixed. I did not loose a single rose and they went crazy with blooms the next spring summer. I also put some pea straw around them through out summer. I find pea straw or Lucerne breaks down best and adds a good dose of Nitrogen to the soil. I have a drip watering system to each rose so the leaves do not get any black spot etc from the water. So with the mulching and the drip watering system under the mulch I had no problems with wilting etc. In hot weather I water twice a week for around 30 minutes in winter not at all. I have just finished pruning mine and will give them some feeding towards the end of July when the new buds start to shoot. This is what it looked like before planting the next one is after they went in about three days later.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby dalelesley » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:25 pm

100_2718.JPG
This after.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby dalelesley » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:28 pm

100_2966.JPG
some of the blooms on first year roses.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby dalelesley » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:30 pm

100_2982.JPG
First one was Brandy. Second one is best friend.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Postby JNarelle » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:35 am

Great photos and tips for roses dalelesley - thankyou :)
JNarelle
Curator

Postby dalelesley » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:13 pm

I must say the roses are my favourite flower. Have always had them in my gardens where ever I might be. Now we are settled proper I can concentrate more on them. But having said that you can only plant so many in what space you have.
dalelesley
Head Gardener

Return to Roses