Herb Sprinkle

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

Herb Sprinkle

Postby Luzy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:57 pm

This is a really good way to add extra fibre and lots of other goodies to your diet.

HERB SPRINKLE
For lunch:
Prepare a platter of ingredients for open sandwiches, eg.
rye, sourdough or cibatta-type bread
cold meats/cheeses
sliced salad vegies - tomatoes, capsicums, cucumbers, avocado
lots of salad greens
butters, mustards or the like are not really required, depending on taste

For the herb sprinkle, take a stroll in the garden and pick a good bunch of different herbs. I always start with some parsley and one or two oniony things like onion or garlic chives and/or a couple of tree or welsh onions. Add to that whatever is lush and beautiful at the moment - basil (always a winner), thyme, coriander, marjoram/oregano, whatever. Use scissors to snip the herbs into a fine dice, place in a bowl and lightly mix. Grab a lemon or two while you're in the garden as well, and slice into quarters.

Present your lunchtime platter along with the bowl of mixed fresh herbs and the lemon quarters. Instruct your guests to construct their snadwiches, then sprinkle with the herbs and drizzle with lemon juice, being generous with the herbs and lemon.

I've taken the makings for this several times into work and each time the reaction has been 'fresh and tasty', 'so summery' ' didn't know you could eat herbs like that' (what a worry...) - not bad for people who don't usually eat fresh herbs.

The herb sprinkle is also a favourite for me over steamed vegies with lemon juice as well or, especially, just before the white sauce lands. Use it also over any salad to add just that little bit extra.
Luzy
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:30 pm

Yum Luzy that sounds really nice for a Sunday visitors bruch idea. I'm going to do a trial run in the garden tonight just to see what I could use. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just made my first batch of ginger beer for the Summer season ...one bottle persists in blowing its cork every few hours .....that one will be first try! :?
Christmas cakes are done ...next week is the puddings and mince pies ..then the shortbread in a couple of weeks ...phew the silly season or what! :lol:
kitkat
Head Curator

Re: Herb Sprinkle

Postby DrDuncs » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:33 pm

I know this is an old post, but I was having a browse through the recipe section and this caught my eye as I have just put a few more herbs in the ground after many years of disappointing results in pots. Think I need to add some basil to my collection.

Looking forward to trying this Luzy, thanks. I'm one of those people who has grown herbs but never really used them that much, except for the good old rosemary with lamb and potatoes, chives with eggs and the occasional parsley in salads.
Caution: Learner Green Thumb - Plant Survival Not Guaranteed
DrDuncs
Curator

Postby Sam » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm glad you revived this one. I got Brian a microplane herb mill for Christmas, which we tried the other night. I discovered that you can store the herbs in it, so tomorrow I'll get it out when we have lunch - still getting through Christmas ham. Should be yummy!
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby kitkat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:43 pm

A stroll around the compound here in Saudi shows that three types of basil are used as hedging plants. All water here is recycled for garden retic so we can have nice gardens even in 60degree heat of summer.( on the way but only 32 today - it's still Spring)
Arican blue Basil
Cinnamon Basil and Thai Basil as well of course as Basil Officinalis or Culinary Basil already in my garden here. I picked a few leaves on my way back just to smell them and add a few to the Minestrone I was cooking. Very different aromas for each of them.
It is a very multicultural compound, from everywhere except Saudi, so people grow a lot of things from home as well as whatever grows here.About 300 families here from all around the world.Only about 5 are Aussies so far.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby kitkat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Didn't have my camera with me so these are the three I saw.
CinnamonBasil
African Blue Basil
Thai Basil
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas