Any Lemon recipes?

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

Any Lemon recipes?

Postby charlie_bruno » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 pm

I've got a whole heap of lemons care of mum and short of making a stack of pancakes and eating fish everyday for a month I don't know what else to do with them. I've made lemon curd and lemon meringue pie, lemon delicious and can't think of anything else. Sorry Ab im not a lemon marmalade fan, so any ideas? :-?
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Re: Any Lemon recipes?

Postby bubba louie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:39 pm

You'll find heaps of Lemon Cordial recipes on google.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:46 am

You can put the juice into icecube trays and freeze it for future use?!
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Mister Wisteria » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:05 am

Lemon Butter, yummieeeeeeeeee. :lol:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Postby charlie_bruno » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks, sounds good.
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Postby Sam » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:57 pm

I make lemon muffins - will post recipe in the next few days.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Sam wrote:I make lemon muffins - will post recipe in the next few days.

Sounds yummy - What are you doing tonight? :twisted:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:55 pm

you can substitute lemons for oranges in most recipes.

haven't tried the following yet but it sounds yummy...

Lemon Risotto with Rosemary Chicken
Risotto
Ingredients
1 shallot, skin removed.
2 sticks of celery
60g/2oz. of unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
300g/10oz. of aborio rice
1½litres/2pints, of vegetable stock,
zest of 1 lemon
50ml/13/4fl.oz.of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary needles, roughly chopped
½ of a small red chilli, deseeded and chopped very finely
1 egg yolk
80g/21/2oz. of fresh parmesan, grated
5 tbsp of double cream
salt and pepper to taste.

Method
1. Heat the vegetable stock in a saucepan, keep it at simmering point.
2. In a food processor whiz together the shallot and the celery until it becomes a fine paste. Alternatively, if you don't have a food
processor, chop the shallot and celery very finely until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, parmesan, cream, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside for later use.
4. Heat half the butter, oil and the celery mixture in a heavy based saucepan and cook uncovered for 3 to 4 minutes until the mixture softens.
5. Add the rice to the celery mixture and stir well to give it a good coating of oil.
6. Pour a ladleful of stock over the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until all the stock is absorbed.
7. Continue adding stock until rice is al dente, just cooked. You may find you don't need to use all the stock, or may even need to add some additional hot water. The risotto should resemble runny
porridge and the rice should still be firm to the touch, but not chalky.
8. Mix the lemon zest, chilli and the chopped rosemary into the risotto. Cook for a few minutes then remove the risotto from the heat.
9. Add in the remaining butter and the lemon juice and parmesan cheese mixture and stir well.

Rosemary Chicken
Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, skin removed
4 tablespoons of olive oil
60ml/2 fl.oz.of lemon juice
5 tbsp of fresh rosemary needles, roughly chopped

Method
1. Cut chicken breasts into long bite sized strips and pierce each piece a few times with the knife.
2. Combine half the oil and remaining ingredients with the chicken and allow to marinate for a few minutes.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a fry pan and add the chicken.
Cook chicken over a medium heat until it is golden brown on both sides, about 1 ½ minutes each side.
4. Remove from the heat and serve with the lemon risotto.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Orange and Lemon Mousse serves 4
6 eggs, separated
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 tablespoons Curacao
grated peel 1 lemon
grated peel 1/2 orange
juice 1 lemon
juice 1 orange
1 tablespoon gelatine, dissolved in a little water
2/3 cup cream, whipped
pinch cream of tartar
In a bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar, Curacao, orange and lemon rind, and juice. Add the dissolved gelantine to the mixture and transfer to a saucepan. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. When custard is completely cold, fold in whipped cream. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until you have stiff peaks. Carefully fold in the custard mixture into the egg whites and transfer into a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until set.
Joan Campbell
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby mcsee » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:53 pm

What about Limoncello.

There are plenty of recipes here - http://au.search.yahoo.com/search?p=limoncello&fr=yfp-t-501&ei=UTF-8
mcsee
Curator

Postby SteveO » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Lemon Cordial
4kg Sugar
4 lt Boiling Water
75gm Tartaric Acid
75gm Citric Acid
Juice 12 Lemons
Combine all except the juice, dissolve until clear then cool before adding juice and bottling.
Makes approx 9 lt
Also works well with any other citrus, pomegranate and pineapple
SteveO
Gardener

Postby bubba louie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 pm

SteveO wrote:Lemon Cordial
4kg Sugar
4 lt Boiling Water
75gm Tartaric Acid
75gm Citric Acid
Juice 12 Lemons
Combine all except the juice, dissolve until clear then cool before adding juice and bottling.
Makes approx 9 lt
Also works well with any other citrus, pomegranate and pineapple

This is the one I was going to try.
1.5kg sugar
1 tablesp citric acid or tartaric acid.
Zest and juice of 8 medium or 6 large lemons.
4 cups boiling water.

Place sugar, citric or tartaric acid, lemon zest and boiling water in a large heatproof bowl. Stir until sugar dissolves, then add lemon juice. Leave to stand overnight or until cool, then strain through a fine sieve.
Pour into sterilised bottles and seal. The cordial can be used immediately.
Makes approx 2 litres.

Homemade Lemonade

3 1/2 cups sugar
4 cups boiling water
16 cups cold water
4 1/2 cups chopped lemons
200ml cider vinegar

Combine sugar and boiling water in a food safe bucket and stir to dissolve.
Add cold water, lemons and vinegar and mix well. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave 48 hours. Strain, then pour into clean bottles and seal. The lemonade is ready in approx 12 days, or when it's fizzy.

Makes abt 5 litres.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Re: dehydrating lemon juice

Postby louiseds » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Why would I want to do this? Because it is lemon time again. I hate buying American lemons in winter, when my tree is devoid of ripe-ish lemons, but I use lemon a lot in cooking, both juice and zest. Lemons take up a lot of space if you pack them in boxes with sand in between them. Making lemon juice ice cubes takes up a lot of space in the freezer, and is a fiddly process.

All the Dehydrating Forums say it cannot be done, but that is like a red rag to a bull for me!

I just bought an Excalibur dehydrator, and am having a lot of fun working out how to make best use of it.

Just peeled some zest off some lemons with a vege peeler and it is happily drying away in strips. I might leave it in strips, or might pulverise it in my coffee grinder when it is crisp, and keep it in a jar to add to things that require juice of half a lemon.

Juice. I have some ParaFlexx sheets. Dehydrator users will understand this. They are non-stick sheets for drying fruit leather and small stuff, so it doesn't fall through the trays. I turned up the edges about 1.5cm and used four of those tiny bulldog clips on the corners, to make very shallow trays. I put the sliding tray in the dehydrator with a mesh sheet, then a Paraflexx sheet on the top, and poured 2 cups of lemon juice in the Paraflexx tray, pushed the tray in very gently, then turned it on to 115 degrees F overnight. It came out a bit unevenly dried because it wasn't quite level, but was basically a very thin fruit leather. It is very sticky to roll up and got stuck to the Paraflexx sheets, kind of like 'almost' hard crack toffee, where it was thicker. The thin bits were quite crackly. I rolled it up as best I could, then cut it up into pieces that would roll into little pea sized balls. I might roll them in cornflour to stop them sticking together in the jar.

After one tray that was so sticky I decided to just put the others back for another few hours and see if I could dry them out some more. I can fit four trays in one batch of a nine tray drier because the edges of the Paraflexx trays stick up a bit and reduce the air flow. That is eight cups of lemon juice in one batch. I might try three cups per tray, which would give me 12 cups of lemon juice. I estimate that this will dry down to about two 450gm jars of little lemon balls, which is a pretty compact way of storing lemon juice for a few months.

You don't want cuts on your hands when you are handling this stuff, but my hands are now lovely and soft after washing them!

Has anyone else out there any ideas about preserving lemons this way?

Louise
louiseds
Propagator

Postby Coustralee » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:30 pm

I used to make a lemon tea cake, it has a real kick to it. This recipe is similar:

Ingredients

2 large eggs
175 g sugar
150 g soft butter or margarine
Grated zest of 1 lemon
175 g super-sifted self-raising flour
125 mL milk
Pinch sea salt

Lemon syrup
150 g icing sugar
50 mL fresh lemon juice (about 1½ large lemons)
Method
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Line the bottom of a greased 23 x 13 x 7.5 cm loaf tin with baking paper.
Place eggs and sugar in a food processor bowl and process for 2 minutes, scraping the sides down once with a rubber spatula.
Remove the lid and drop spoonfuls of butter or margarine on top of the mixture, together with the lemon zest, then pulse until it just disappears (mixture should resemble mayonnaise).
Add the flour, milk and salt, cover and pulse until the mixture is smooth in texture and even in colour, scraping the sides down with a rubber spatula if necessary (do not over-beat).
Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown on top and firm to the touch.
Remove from the oven and stand the tin on a cooling rack.
To make the syrup, gently heat the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan, stirring until a clear syrup is formed (approximately 3 minutes). Do not boil.
Prick the warm cake all over with a fork, then gently pour the syrup over it, until it has been completely absorbed.
Leave until cool, then carefully ease the cake from the baking tin and remove the baking paper.
Just before serving, sift a little more icing sugar on the top.
Coustralee
Head Gardener

Postby charlie_bruno » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:12 am

Preserved lemons. mmmmm, they were great in the moroccan chicken. :) and really easy.
charlie_bruno
Senior Curator

Andrew Benintendi Jersey

Postby FrhjwIv2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:13 pm

They have a chance to sweep again,Cheap Hockey Jerseys Official. And surely being more efficient in the red zone would improve their chances,Cheap Baseball Jerseys Authentic.
"Those situations,Andrew Benintendi Jersey, any of the special situations,Wholesale MLB Jerseys, we have to get better," Jaguars offensive coordinator Greg Olson said. "Our red-zone opportunities, we need to score more touchdowns. Always certainly need to take a close look at everything in terms of scheme,Cheap NHL Jerseys Authentic, who we're getting the ball to,Supply NHL Gear Store, all of those things are involved in it. We're taking a good, hard look at that."
FrhjwIv2
Groundsperson

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas