Sun Dried Tomatoes

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

Sun Dried Tomatoes

Postby SteveO » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:09 pm

I am currently enjoying an over abundance of roma tomatoes, and a spell of hot weather :D . Any advice, tips or tricks for sun drying them would be greatly appreciated =p~
SteveO
Gardener

Re: Sun Dried Tomatoes

Postby bubba louie » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:29 pm

I've only ever done them in the oven. It's too humid here.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby kangkung » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:07 am

Your summers are probably similar to ours here in southern France but hotter, so great for drying tomatoes. I've found here it takes several days, leaving them in the sun all day and bringing them in at night so they don't get damp with dew. Romas I cut in half, pole to pole, larger toms in slices about 1cm thick, and put them on a rack or on a woven grass mat. Some people add salt but I don't. Make sure they're really dry before putting them in a jar. My kids love them!
kangkung
Apprentice

Postby karyn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:07 pm

I have heard to do semi sun dreid tomatoes, line a tray with foil, cut the tomatoes and lay on the foil, season if you like. Then put the oven on low and leave them for hours, until they have the texture you like. They might take severall days, on and off. Good luck with them, I'm envious as my last 3 tomato crops have been less than impressive!!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas