show me your pasta sauce recipe

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

show me your pasta sauce recipe

Postby shorty » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:11 pm

With hopefully at least a few roma tomatoes coming on, I would love to have a crack at making a nice homemade pasta sauce. Be nice to hear peoples favourite recipes.
shorty
Propagator

Re: show me your pasta sauce recipe

Postby jayendra » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:13 pm

roasted with garlic, salt, olive oil.

Wizzed up.

Fresh basil when reheating
The vege garden is like having a second family.
jayendra
Curator

Postby mudhen » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:14 pm

I have a very simple recipe that is also very flexible! One of my kids hates veggies, so we sneak them into the pasta sauce. For every kg of tomatoes, add an onion, a capsicum (red or green), a stick of celery and a couple cloves of garlic. The veggies are chopped roughly and cooked in a big pot with a bit of olive oil, and when they are soft, I add the herbs, usually a good handful of fresh basil and oregano from the garden. Then the tomatoes are added -- if you are fussy, you can skin them first, but if I'm using fresh ones, I don't usually bother. A good dollop of tomato paste, some fresh ground black pepper, a teaspoon or so of salt and sometimes a teaspoon on of sugar depending on how sweet the toms are. Personally I add a fair bit more veggies, and make this up in a big pot with about 2.5kgs of tomatoes. Any more than that and it sticks on the bottom and burns. Extra veggies -- chopped zucchini, sometimes a sweet potato or a bit of pumpkin, any leftover cooked veggies sitting in the fridge. I let it cook for a few hours, then puree with a stick blender. Because I use it in lots of different ways, I often freeze some in muffin tins in the freezer, then transfer to a freezer bag when fully frozen. This way you can pop out a frozen block whenever needed.

Happy cooking!
mudhen
Pruner

Postby SteveO » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:02 pm

A recipe shown to me by an old Italian flatmate for using cheap cuts of meat, he just called it meat sauce. It makes a lot, so make sure you have room in the freezer ( or 30 people to feed)
3-4kg of the cheapest cuts of meat you can get your hands on- a mixture of beef, pork, veal, lamb, chicken (all preferably on the bone)
1 hot dry Italian sausage- chopped into small pieces
1kg minced beef,1 onion, egg etc- just make your favourite meatball recipe
3-4 liters sugo/pasata
I also like to add a few bacon bones for a bit of smokiness
Brown the meat and sausage, add to a large pot, cover with sugo and bring to a slow boil, add golf ball sized meatballs, simmer slowly until sauce is reduced and the meat is falling off the bone ( 6-8 hours) stir regularly to stop sauce sticking on the bottom
Allow to cool for a while, then remove meat from the bones and return to the sauce
SteveO
Gardener

Postby hobbies » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 pm

shorty wrote:With hopefully at least a few roma tomatoes coming on, I would love to have a crack at making a nice homemade pasta sauce. Be nice to hear peoples favourite recipes.

chop tomatoes, fry with onions, and mushrooms, and add parsley-yum :o
hobbies
Apprentice

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas