Preserving olives

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

Preserving olives

Postby country sprite » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:29 pm

I preserved some ripe olives last season using the brine method but they have a soapy taste. How can I make them palatable? And what should I do next time I pickle them?
country sprite
Lawn trimmer

Re: Preserving olives

Postby Stormgirl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Depends on the "finish" you want. I did kalamata olives with water, then brine, and finally with vinegar. =p~

I'd say if you got a "soapy" taste then you didn't soak them long enough. What was your brine method exactly?
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby country sprite » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:53 pm

I soaked them in brine for a couple of weeks from memory, changing the water from time to time, until the bitterness was gone.
Then I put them in jars and covered them with a strong brine topped with olive oil.
The olives have a soap like coating. I have experimented with vinegar, lemon juice and citric acid [all of which I have noted in other recipes] to 'neutralise' the soapy coating.
Seems to be having some success, but wondered if others have had this happen.
country sprite
Lawn trimmer

Postby Stormgirl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Sometimes my mums olives taste "soapy". I've noticed it's the olives that she preserves without cutting into or bruising the flesh. (ie, the ones she tries preserving "whole") Wonder if there is something IN the olive that prevents that soapy taste, maybe? :-?
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby Sam » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:59 pm

When we've done olives in the past we have brined first - split olives, water changed daily for two weeks, then the brine for about a month - then marinated in olive oils and herbs.

I'd be interested in any recipes to avoid the oil and just use vinegar and herbs and all of that.

I think Stormgirl might be onto something about the splitting. Everything I've read says to split the olives down to the seed. Sometimes using a stubbie to hit them with - never worked for us. We've just used a paring knife and cut on both sides.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby country sprite » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:47 pm

I pricked the olives with a fork. Perhaps I should have used a knife and cut to the pit.
country sprite
Lawn trimmer

Postby Stormgirl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:05 pm

My mother hit them with a hammer until they completely split. One by one. (these were green olives, though. Don't know how successful it'd be with black ones)
Stormgirl
Curator

Postby country sprite » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 pm

I shall definitely make sure that I thoroughly cut them next time. This is probably the answer. In the mean time I have to deal with the ones I have pickled.
I will try to make them edible by washing and then storing them in vinegar.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
country sprite
Lawn trimmer

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas