Cucumbers - what Sam learned at a Cooking Class

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

Cucumbers - what Sam learned at a Cooking Class

Postby Sam » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 pm

I was lucky enough to win a voucher for a cooking class at Buderim Ginger at Yandina. I chose the one called "Five Star at Home", mainly because I wanted to learn how to de-bone a chicken.

The chef said mine was perfect. I then proceeded to mess us poaching an egg. Clare, aged 10 and not looking good for 11, said "Don't worry, Mummy. You have problems with eggs at the best of times.". Pam can attest to this - I can't boil an egg, either.

Anyhoo...

Our entree was an asparagus salad with aforementioned buggered up poached egg. One of the ladies on the course didn't like asparagus (????), so the chef peeled some cucumber and seeded it. It was thrown in with the asparagus into the pan into a lot of foaming butter. I made sure I tasted a bit and it was DIVINE!

I'd never considered cooking cucumber...Erik (chef) said it is also great in curries.

The other huge tip was that when we poached our eggs, we put them on a teatowel. Erik said that with each egg you add, you lower the temp of the water by 20%, so best to do separately. Then he told us that you poach all the eggs you need for your entree the day before, cover with the teatowel. When you want to serve, put the teatowel in hot water for two minutes. This warms the eggs without cooking them further and makes them the right temp to serve.

The class was fantastic. Naturally, I suggested that if anyone had a veggie garden and plenty of space that they should grow their own asparagus. I want to do another class.

Didn't really get a chance to look around - weather was appalling and I felt the need to make a quick detour to Fairhill to look for my elusive lemon aspen. I think if I'd spent any more time there I would have brought home lots of ginger plants. Did buy a book about ginger. Gorgeous photos of plants and flowers plus recipes! My kind of book.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Re: Cucumbers - what Sam learned at a Cooking Class

Postby bubba louie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:34 pm

I knew a lady who always tossed some in, near the end, with the roast and veg.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Sam wrote: I then proceeded to mess us poaching an egg. Clare, aged 10 and not looking good for 11, said "Don't worry, Mummy. You have problems with eggs at the best of times.". Pam can attest to this - I can't boil an egg, either.

There's always egg nog. :twisted:
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Pam wrote:
Sam wrote: I then proceeded to mess us poaching an egg. Clare, aged 10 and not looking good for 11, said "Don't worry, Mummy. You have problems with eggs at the best of times.". Pam can attest to this - I can't boil an egg, either.

There's always egg nog. :twisted:

Sounds likes 'mothers clubs '

Sure it will be ALL OKAY :-P
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas