Cooking the (agaricus bispous), common commercial mushroom.

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

Cooking the (agaricus bispous), common commercial mushroom.

Postby Durgan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:37 am

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QYYCJ 4 August 2010 Cooking mushrooms (agaricus bispous).
Cooking the (agaricus bispous), common commercial mushroom. I decide to experiment and have for several years utilized the following cooking method. The mushrooms are scrubbed thoroughly with a brush under water to remove any growing media residue. A pot on high heat with a slice of butter is placed on the heat and the mushrooms introduced. Any reasonable amount of mushrooms can be placed in the pot. The mushrooms are cooked (boiled in their own juices) for about fifteen minutes and stirred periodically. There may be a significance amount of moisture present, and this is reduced by boiling without the lid until removed. A splash of Soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce is added and stirred vigorously until all the mushrooms are brown. The finished product retains the mushroom shape, and is very meaty in texture. The finished product may be kept in the refrigerator and warmed up in a microwave for serving with little loss in shape.texture and taste. hence the mushrooms can be cooked prior to a meal. Often at family gatherings, I am asked to bring the cooked mushrooms, indicating the method has a bit of merit.
Durgan, Brantford, Ontario, Canada, Zone 5B
http://durgan.org/2011/ Garden Journal
Durgan
Head Curator

Re: Cooking the (agaricus bispous), common commercial mushro

Postby The Estate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:16 pm

field mushies =p~

The Estate
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:34 pm

I love the flat black mushrooms...the older the better...more taste IMO. I was given this recipe by a 'fruito' and I must admit I drool every time I think about this dish.

Cook the mushrooms in a pan with a small amount of butter, until nearly cooked. Add a generous dollop or two of sour cream and some chopped eshallots (the ones with the green foliage and barely there bulb... AKA scallions).
Cook for a brief time and serve...OH SO DELICIOUS.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby The Estate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:15 pm

that sounds so delicious =p~
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas