My first chutney!

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

My first chutney!

Postby karyn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Chutney from my tomatoes.JPG

I picked 2 buckets of tomatoes so decided to make my first ever chutney. Tastes great...
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: My first chutney!

Postby GoldenWattle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:43 pm

karyn wrote:I picked 2 buckets of tomatoes so decided to make my first ever chutney. Tastes great...

You can't do that Karyn... I want details. Which varieties of tomatoes did you use? What's the recipe? I was curious at to whether I could make a pasta sauce using yellow pear tomatoes, but I haven't gone out of my way to look for recipes - but if you're willing to share yours, I'd be tempted to try it out! :wink:

Cheers,
GoldenWattle (#)
GoldenWattle
Gardening Sage

Postby Kerrie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Congratulations, Karyn - feels great, doesn't it? I always make the mistake of wanting to share so that I give too much away, and we run out!
Kerrie
Curator

Postby karyn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 am

Ok here goes! It's pretty much the ezi-sauce recipe. I used whatever tomatoes I picked, and since the bushes have swamped the labels, I don't know some of the types...I used a few romas, and definitely some apollos and the rest were big and round!

Peel and roughly chop tomatoes to get about 8.5 kgs. Chop 3.5 kgs onions, mix with 115 gms salt and leave to soak overnight - recipe says 12 hours at least is best.
Bring to the boil, add a thin paste of 4 tablespoons mustard powder and 4 tablespoons curry powder and a little water, 3 kgs sugar and a bottle of ezi sauce. Boil it for 2 hours or so. Add 115gms of plain flour made into a thin paste, or cornflour made into a thin paste to thicken it up, boil a bit longer.

The easiest way to peel tomatoes is probably make a small x at the bottom, plunge into boiling water then drop into cold water. Or a friend suggested using a mouli (spelling?) but I don't have one!

For those who don't know ezi sauce, it's usually in the sauce aisle, it's in a small brown stubby bottle and costs around $4. It's an easy replacement for the vinegar and spices and stuff that you need.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby kitkat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Lovely Karyn, As good as money in the bank to have a full pantry of preserves imho.
I am also an easy sauce fan - I use it for my plum sauce and my chilli plum sauce.I hope it stays in business, the small fellas often get eaten up by the big ones and favorites disappear off the shelves - not that we can't replace with vinegar and spices, but they have it down pat don't they.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby ColinM » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Yum Karyn! You've already got FAR too much for your own needs there - so post some my way! :lol: :D

Great stuff!
Dig It!

ColinM

For a man, the definition of HELL is singularly having to refit a king sized button-up doona cover that has been washed inside out!
ColinM
Senior Curator

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas