crabapple jelly

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

crabapple jelly

Postby kitkat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 am

Here is my crabapple Jelly, only did six jars this year as I am just home and they were waiting.
Lovely colour and tastes good too.LOL
it is so easy ----
just cook as many crabapples as you like covered with water - for a few hours. Strain through a pillowslip for several hours or overnight( I hang mine over a clean plastic food bucket and knot it at the bottom to hold it there.) without squeezing -for clarity- if you squeeze -your jelly will be cloudy.
Measure how many cups of juice, and add one cup of sugar for each cup of juice.
Add the juice of a lemon or some citric acid and cook until it jells.
Stir until sugar dissolves but not after that, keep to a rolling boil.
Test on cold saucer if set . Bottle and seal while hot. How easy is that.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
Gardens..... food for Body and Soul.[/color]
kitkat
Head Curator

Re: crabapple jelly

Postby marian » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Oh gosh your jellies look delish. I love love Apple jellies and they are amazing as a meat glaze particularly for pork of course. I made a fantastic Apple and Rosemary jelly one year and glazed a lamb roast with it... it was yummmm and I loved this one with the strong English Cheddar that is so hard to comeby here. Marian.
marian
Lawn trimmer

Postby kitkat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Yes I too like it with meat as well as on scones with clotted cream -yum.

If you want some crabapples. Come for a drive to the southwest Marian.They are growing in the streets as street trees and all the crabapples are ready to go.
Mine came from the hardware store nature strip- I just couldn't walk past them and the guys in the store said 'go for it the council will thank you' -so I did. :D
I will get some more tomorrow as the hawthorn jelly hasn't set well and my apple cider recipe recommends some crab apples in the mix.
I'll reboil the hawthorn jelly with some crab apples and use the rest in the cider.
I had to beat the neighbours cows over the fence to my granny smith apples -they were leaning over the electric fence and munching on my apples! :(
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Modesty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 am

I made crabapple and rose petal jelly, I think one or two dark red roses to a couple of large bowls of crabapples, and added a red apple and juice of a lemon.

I cooked them in the crockpot, drained them and let the sugar sit in the juice overnight. By morning the sugar had dissolved and it took only a short time to jell. Has a lovely tart taste from the lemon, despite all the sugar.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby kitkat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:02 pm

MMm sounds yum ,I haven't tried rosepetals - Must do that when my new roses grow up ! LOL. Crabapples in July is pretty late- lucky you. Ours finished here in May.
Smiles from SueB
[color=#40BF00]
Thanks for Sharing
kitkat
Head Curator

Postby Modesty » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 pm

No, ours were finished in about may as well, I just thought I would mention my jelly concoction.

You can make rose petal jam but the petals don't have a good texture, a jelly would be better. Lilly pilly jam has themost vibrant colour.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas