Cafe Style Open Sandwich

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

Cafe Style Open Sandwich

Postby colour-me-blue » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Made this combination the other day, and was delicious!

Things from my garden: cos lettuce, rocket and basil.

1.Cut Turkish bread into manageable sized portions, split open, lightly toast. Spread generously with nut spread (I used macadamia, I was thinking cashew would be nice too).
2. Thinly slice onion, pull apart rings, add as much as you like to bread (I didn't use much, two or three rings per slice).
3. Roughly chop small amount of semi-dried tomatoes in olive oil. Include the oil when you add to sandwich.
4. Sprinkle small amount of feta cheese over top.
5. Add generous amounts of rocket and basil.
6. Top with a cos lettuce leaf.

The cos lettuce on top will help you keep all the ingrediants together as you eat (with your hands of course!)

If you have other yummy combos for fancy sandwiches (with things you've grown), please add. I'm always interested in new ideas and different flavours.
colour-me-blue
Pruner

Re: Cafe Style Open Sandwich

Postby Modesty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am

roast beef with fetta, and either caramelised onions, fruit chutney or green tomato chutney- this part needs a little sweetness to clash with the salty fetta. Great with wraps or a seedy bread.

apple, cheese ( a strong cheddar or vintage crumbly one) and a few sage leaves. This can also be toasted.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby colour-me-blue » Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Roast beef combo sounds delicious!

Apple, cheese and sage? I'm really keen to try that - I like all those things separately, but would never have thought of putting them together. I guess you'd grate the apple and cheese?

What I made the other day:

On a tray, place thickly sliced tomatoes, sprinkle with pepper and salt, tiny bit of sugar and finely shredded lemon thyme. Roast in slow oven about 45 mins, then place on top of thick slices of lightly toasted sourdough, generously spread with philadelphia cream cheese.
colour-me-blue
Pruner

Postby Modesty » Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Well, you could grate them, I usually just hack the apple into four pieces, slice cheese into pieces and put on a couple of sage leaves and hold it together to eat. Very much a this is my favourite, no one else need eat it, so appearance doenst matter. I guess you could jazz it up, grating may make the apple go brown too quickly, so a bit of mayo might help. I have also nuked it in the microwave until the apple is soft and the cheese bubbly, which is also pretty good, but a knife and fork effort on an open sandwich.

I have read that tomato and lemon thyme combination somewhere, possibly Elizabeth David or the herb Hemphil books. I like the tomato and bread salad, with chunks of sourdough smeared with garlic and oil mixed thru tomato and basil.

Herb sandwiches are quite nice every so often. A mix of herbs (parsley, chives, mint, oregano or marjoram) with a few chickweed leaves is refreshing. Needs to be chopped fine otherwise is is a it like a grass sandwich! Some cream cheese would be nice with it.

You are right, I do love fetta!

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby bubba louie » Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 am

Banana and bacon. Yummo.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 am

Corned beef and tabouli work really well together.

I bought my husband a microplane herb mill last Christmas - we put a mix of herbs in it and grate them over sandwiches and burgers. Absolutely beautiful - and you can leave them in the mill in the fridge to use again later.
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Postby Modesty » Sun May 06, 2012 4:12 pm

is that a twirl revolving one? Meile I think the brand is. Sounds pretty and tasty.

Umm, I had a banana and home cured ham open toasted with cheese in Tassie once, absolutely delicious. And a poached egg on avocado with garlic aoli for breakfast - yumbos.

Fruit toast lends itself to lots of yumminess - mashed banana and extra cinnamon, cottage cheese or ricotta with some preserved fruit or the evil thats name be nutella!

Modesty
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby bubba louie » Sun May 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Had some absolutely scrummy fruit toast at a cafe once. Lovely sourdough with dried figs etc served with fresh ricotta and strawberry jam. Beat scones hands down.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Sam » Sun May 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Modesty wrote:is that a twirl revolving one? Meile I think the brand is. Sounds pretty and tasty.

No, the brand is Microplane. They have them at a good price on Peters of Kensington website. I love that site!
“Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian, wine and tarragon
make it French, sour cream makes it Russian, lemon and
cinnamon make it Greek, soya sauce makes it Chinese, Garlic
makes it good.” Alice May Brock, Alice’s Restaurant Cookbook.
Sam
Garden Wizard

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas