Spaghetti squash

Now that you have grown it, what will you do with it? This Forum is for exchanging recipes and other ideas for making productive use of the produce you have grown.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, kitkat

Spaghetti squash

Postby Modesty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 am

I ended up with 75 enormous spaghetti squash this year. Yep, 75. I was given a jar of seeds, aired them out in the sun(they had been stored in a minced garlic jar and nearly knocked me over when I opened it) and of course they got rained on and all germinated. So I planted them all, about 12 vines in the end, and they covered about 10 square metres. I was surprised as the soil was mostly clay and lawn clippings that I had been trying to improve.

Any recipes? I know about normal pasta sauces, but can you do anything else with them? Freeze them? Make twee craft things out of them? I am not sure how long they store, but will certainly find out in the course of time.

Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Re: Spaghetti squash

Postby betr2garden » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:13 am

Wow Modesty, that's a lot of spaghetti squash!

I love these, but 75 might be a little much for one family to use up. You could keep the street supplied.

They keep about a month in a cool, dry place, but months in cold storage. The cooked threads can be frozen. To use, partly defrost then steam.

Sorry, I haven't got too many recipes as I've never been faced with lots to use - I just use as a pasta substitute. Hope you get lots of tasty ideas.
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby colour-me-blue » Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 pm

I noticed you like fetta Modesty, so perhaps you'll like this recipe.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/861/baked-spaghetti-squash-with-feta.aspx
colour-me-blue
Pruner

Postby flytraps » Thu May 03, 2012 11:38 am

My friend introduced me to her mothers favorite. Let me warn you may sound nasty, but pretty good if you have a sweet tooth. Just cook normally and add brown sugar and butter. I thought yuch at first but actually pretty good.
flytraps
Propagator

Postby Modesty » Fri May 04, 2012 7:15 am

I have read of cooking zuchinni like apples, sliced with sugar and cinamon, so I guess it's possible.
Modesty
Don't take a cutting from a plant that has taken over a vacant block just because it's free.
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby flytraps » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:06 am

Have you come up with any new recipes for spaghetti squash yet? Hoping to hear some new ways to cook it.
flytraps
Propagator

Postby betr2garden » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:51 am

There are plenty of recipes out there. I haven't added as I haven't tried them but, with 75 spaghetti squash to use I'm sure you have googled recipes by now. Here's one search I did:
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipes. ... atings&pg=

Teaming with great ideas to try.
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Modesty » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm

To be honest, they were not very good eating! I am not sure if they were all ripe enough, or if it was just a not nice one the seeds came from, but they have been fairly bland and have not cooked well into strands, more a fibrous choko like effect. So I am a bit over spaghetti squash.

I did end up using it as a pasta substitute with tomamto sauces and under curries, stir fries etc, but they were so bland it was an effort to eat them unless well covered by sauce. I did try baking them, but that was not a success, I did microwave them and ended up exploding several, leaving a cup of seeds, liquid and mush spread all over the inside of the microwave.

So I reckon the rest will end up as compost, as I can't in all conscious give the wretched things away.Even the chook hates them!

Modesty
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby betr2garden » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Aww, well strike one up to experience and move on??? Sorry you didn't have much luck with them. I used to get one (once in a blue fit) at Coles and it was novel to have. I can't imagine I'd want to eat 75 either.
Keep fighting for what you want tomorrow to be!
betr2garden
Gardener

Postby Modesty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:17 am

Yes, reckon so. It was more of an experiment in a patch of ground i was getting ready for pumpkins anyway. I'll just have to bask in the glory of the immense harvest of green tomatoes a year or so ago which made the most delicious green tomato chutney.

I did talk them up a bit with the family, and now it is a bit of a joke. Last night I was told not to apologise for a meal being spaghetti squash free. It didn't blow up in the microwave but sprayed boiling sticky liquid all over the inside instead. So the compost for the rest.

Modesty
Modesty
Head Gardener

Postby flytraps » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:48 am

Sorry to hear you got a bad batch of spaghetti squash. Are you at the point you won't try them again, or will you just buy them in the store?
flytraps
Propagator

Postby Modesty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:07 am

Well, I doubt I will plant them again, but as they are going to compost I expect they will turn up again. I have potatoes that pop up all the time now, and for some reason we get pumpkins and tomatoes seed everywhere. As soon as we have moved into a house there they are!

I might try boiling them, I got lazy and was nuking them, so that might be a bit better. Still plenty out there, they are keeping quite well.

They did turn a pile of grass clippings and clay into soil, so that's one good thing. Just right for pumpkins now. Even the vines broke down quickly and are supporting a potato crop.

I think it might not have been warm enough in Melbourne to fully ripen them.

Modesty
Modesty
Head Gardener

Return to Recipes & Produce Ideas