Red Dead Nettle

What is a weed? Opinions vary depending on perspective, climate and individual awareness but rational discussion can lead to better understanding. However, be warned that though this can be an emotive issue with strongly held views being aired, common courtesy and an acceptance that opinions and circumstances may differ is required of all participants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, midgin

Red Dead Nettle

Postby Cosmic » Mon May 19, 2008 11:41 am

Rotten stuff invaded my veggie beds three years ago. I read various information, like - it is pretty leave it.........No thanks
it seeds readily and is a constant pain to remove even though it pulls up easily enough, it scatters its seed which is tiny. It is resistant to glysophate so no point in spraying. It came in as a weed with some pea straw and I am not looking forward to summer when it absolutely fills every bit of space, grows well through mulch no matter how thick and generally ruins my enjoyment of gardening. Any ideas? Is there an organic solution, might changing the ph of the soil get rid of it. I have a 6 bed rotation system and can leave one fallow with no problems.
Cosmic
Head Curator

Re: Red Dead Nettle

Postby Abbi » Tue May 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Is that lamium? I love it, i have the white and pink one as ground cover in several beds. :roll:

Sorry, Cosmic, that's not much help is it? :D
Abbi
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Wed May 21, 2008 5:40 am

Reading does suggest it can be an absolute mongrel to get rid of, but sorry Cosmic, you already know that, hey? Is newspapers under your mulch an option?
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Kieran F » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:42 am

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organic ... .php?id=49
this site suggests you should let them grow to seedlings, then turn the soil (soil cultivation)

more information is here http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organic ... .php?id=13
Maker of stupid posts.
Kieran F
Head Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:21 am

what about solarisation? In summer cover the beds in plastic so that the heat kills it off?
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Return to Environmental weeds