dwarf yellow lantana - sterile?

What is a weed? Opinions vary depending on perspective, climate and individual awareness but rational discussion can lead to better understanding. However, be warned that though this can be an emotive issue with strongly held views being aired, common courtesy and an acceptance that opinions and circumstances may differ is required of all participants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, midgin

dwarf yellow lantana - sterile?

Postby mudlark » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Has anyone else been told that the dwarf forms of yellow lantana 'gold rush' and 'yellow spreader' are sterile? Well guess what I found on mine today? Some tiny blue berries! I immediately ripped the plant out and destroyed the berries. It was about 7 years old and had grown to about 70cm by 3 metres and gave the most glorious splash of colour all through summer. I'm going to miss it. The dwarf forms of yellow lantana were banned from sale in western australia a couple of years ago. Apparently the fear is that these dwarf varieties could cross pollinate with the taller more invasive forms and then create havoc around our waterways - I've been told that one of the upright forms can be as far as 2 kilometres away and cross pollination could theoretically occur.
mudlark
Gardener

Re: dwarf yellow lantana

Postby bubba louie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:34 pm

The supposedly sterile forms have been cross pollinating with wild lantana for years. :evil:
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:36 am

Did you happen to take pictures before ripping it out Mudlark?

They were banned from sale here in Qld a few years ago, but my feeling has always been that that wasn't enough. Having vast tracts of declared plants in commecial landscaping tends to reduce the effectiveness of such measures.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:24 pm

I think some of the blame has to go to the "experts" too...lantana was promoted by a well known gardening guru recently as a waterwise plant... :evil: :evil:
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby guzzigirl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:03 pm

any plant that is "waterwise" could be considered to have weed potential, as it will survive in conditions others won't.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Cheap China Jerseys

Postby MrtnhLC5 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:17 pm

,China NBA Jerseys
The NFL's 2016 salary cap is $155 million per team. The Saints' current player payroll is already within a few million dollars of hitting that number with the draft coming up this week, starting with Thursday night's first round.
While Brees' negotiations with New Orleans have continued at a methodical pace, quarterbacks around the NFL have gotten raises,Jerseys NFL Wholesale, essentially improving Brees' market value. Although Brees is 37,Cheap Jerseys, his 4,Wholesale China Jerseys,870 yards passing last season ranked first in the NFL,Cheap NFL Jerseys Free Shipping, even though he missed a game with a sprained shoulder. He also passed for 32 touchdowns in 2015,NFL Jerseys China, which tied for seventh league-wide and was only four behind Tom Brady's league-leading 36.
MrtnhLC5
Weeder

Return to Environmental weeds