You really have to admire...blackberries!

What is a weed? Opinions vary depending on perspective, climate and individual awareness but rational discussion can lead to better understanding. However, be warned that though this can be an emotive issue with strongly held views being aired, common courtesy and an acceptance that opinions and circumstances may differ is required of all participants.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Luzy, jack, Sam, midgin

You really have to admire...blackberries!

Postby karyn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:03 pm

Just been cutting blackberries at Mum's house. You really do have to admire the tenacity of this bloody plant - it had delicious fruit that attracts birds who then poop the seeds out somewhere else with a little blob of fertiliser attached. It puts out long tendrils that branch out and root wherever they touch the ground. It's thorny to ward off predators. The roots put out runners under the ground as well. It's definitely a survivor. The majority of the ones at Mum's come from the next yard over, they residents there are not gardeners by a long shot. So every year we cut them back as far as we can reach and dispose of them. One day I'll knock on their door and ask them to do it themselves... The only year we didn't cut them back before they set fruit was when they grew all through a Correa Alba and the blue wrens then nested in it :D
karyn
Gardening Sage

Re: You really have to admire...blackberries!

Postby jack » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 am

yep got to love blackberries, i still remember them from when i lived in a better climate, not seen them out here.
yep pick them all day, mix with rhubarb and make a pie, drizzle in custard and that is heaven, enough to make the thorns worth the effort
jack
Head Curator

Postby taffyman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Mmm, blackberry and rhubarb pie, blackberry and apple pie and blackberry jam - nostalgia at its best!
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:19 pm

I love and adore blackberry jam. Unstrained. The chunkier the better!
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 am

yeah, Jam's not Jam unless it's chunky.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby karyn » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:21 am

Yep, then you get to play with the pips in your teeth for the rest of the day! :D
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Graham Bower » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:58 am

I have what I have been told is an American Bramble or otherwise as a thornless blackberry. It is not truly thornless but thorns are nowhere near as savage as wild blackberry It grows as a vine and fruits from mid November through to late December Fruits are large, approximately twice the size of the wild blackberry.If left to properly ripen ,fruit is very sweet and delicious. I grow it on a trellis about 5metres long and 1.5m high From this I will pick about 1.5kg of fruit every second day at the peak of the season.
I cut back last years canes during winter and tie up new canes ready for oncoming crop. Graham.
Last edited by Graham Bower on Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Bower
Apprentice

Postby JNarelle » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:58 am

Sounds like a Dewberry :)

delicious! :D
JNarelle
Curator

Postby Graham Bower » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks Narelle. From what I can research, it certainly looks like a dewberry but as I understand it the Dewberry has male and female plants, so I presume that I would need one of each to produce fruit. I only have the one plant which apparently is self pollinating. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Incidentally, I am based in Berwick Victoria

Graham
Graham Bower
Apprentice

Postby JNarelle » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:51 am

maybe they can cross pollinate with another rubus? :)
JNarelle
Curator

Return to Environmental weeds