Fixing Root Structure3

This sub-Forum is for posts on the basics of Bonsai, handy tips and other useful ideas to get you started on your own Bonsai. If you are new to Bonsai, read here before posting queries as you may find the answer. Ask questions on the main Bonsai forum and if the answer is of general interest it will end up here.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Fixing Root Structure3

Postby taffyman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:50 pm

This is the third method I'm trying of improving the root structure on one of my figs. As you can see in the first three pic, there are some pretty thick roots in that rootball - one even curls round almost in a circle. They do nothing to enhance the trunk, so if this is successful, I should get a whole new set of roots coming out above the wire. It's very easy to do, all it requires is to work out where you want the new roots, cut a groove down to the heart wood, right round the trunk as wide as the wire you intend to use, put the wire round and twitch it up as tight as you can get it without snapping it. This method can also be used further up the trunk, or even on a suitable branch, but in both of those cases I'd recommend wrapping in damp Sphagnum moss and sealing it off as in the 'How to Aerial Layer' post. With this one, I don't need to do that because I've buried it in the garden (pic 6). I also painted the groove with rooting hormone gel to help the callousing start before I put the wire round it.

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Fixing Root Structure3

Postby lmrk » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:06 pm

That's another excellent tutorial Taffy!!! Can't wait to see how all three different methods turn out, and which will be the most successful. Good luck! (Y)
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby taffyman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 pm

Update on this one. I scraped the soil away from the roots today to see how it was going and got a pleasant surprise. It had sent out all these new roots from above the wire. So what I've done now is cut away all the stuff below these new roots and re-planted it in the ground. Cutting away so much of the original root system may set it back a bit, but at this time of the year up here it shouldn't make a lot of difference. There are plenty of new roots to keep it going. I'll leave it in the ground for about another four months then expose the roots again and see how it's developed. I intend growing it on in the ground for maybe another year by which time it should have developed a very strong root system and a good set of foliage pads as well. While it's in the ground, I'll still treat it as a Bonsai and keep working on the branch structure and foliage.
So, this is the result of being in the ground almost 3 months.

Image Image Image
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:41 pm

great results taffy :D
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Postby taffyman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Better than I expected GG considering the short time it's been in the ground. Pity it didn't complete the circle of roots but it doesn't really matter because as they grow and thicken I'll reduce the number of primary roots to about five, seven or nine around the trunk. Eventually those few will be the only ones visible above the soil level.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby lmrk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:50 pm

That's amazing Taffy :shock: :shock: Did you also cut the top of the tree off on an angle?
Does a watched bonsai ever grow?
lmrk
Curator

Postby taffyman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:06 pm

No Leah, that was done some time ago. It doesn't show up on the original photos because they were taken closer up, and the photo of it in the ground was taken with that cut at the back.
Taffy
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby guzzigirl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:26 pm

well I am going to try that when I'm ready to dissect my 6' Ficus Benjamina - after I have taken some aerial layers :mrgreen:
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Return to Bonsai How To Guide