Rocks (3)

This sub-Forum is for posts on the basics of Bonsai, handy tips and other useful ideas to get you started on your own Bonsai. If you are new to Bonsai, read here before posting queries as you may find the answer. Ask questions on the main Bonsai forum and if the answer is of general interest it will end up here.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Rocks (3)

Postby taffyman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:54 pm

These are Limestone, and probably the easiest to carve because they are quite soft. Except for the first one, Before I use any of the others, I'm thinking of soaking some of them in bleach to see if I can return them to their usual white appearance. They're only blackened because of going through bushfires over the millenias

Rock 1.

I picked this one up about 100 metres off the road between Leinster and the Agnew Nickel mine in Western Australia. The whole area is littered with the remains of coral reefs that must be hundreds of thousands if not millions of years old when the centre of Australia was still ocean. It's close to 700km from the nearest ocean. This piece still has the shape of oyster shells on it and wherever you looked you could see complete half shells on the ground and protruding from the outcrops.

Image Image

Rocks 2, 3 and 4.

Came from the side of the road near Carnarvon in Western Australia.

Image Image Image

Rock 5.

Came from a few kilometres out from Kununurra in WA

Image Image

Rock 6.

This one isn't Limestone, it's Ironstone and came from the Goldsworthy in the Pilbara Western Australia. It's hard - I wouldn't like to try carving it. It isn't really suitable for use as a Root over Rock, but could possibly be used as an accent planting with a nice rugged Juniper or something.

Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Rocks (3)

Postby Mister Wisteria » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:39 am

Can't help myself, :oops: :oops: getting your Rocks off are you Taffy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slip Slop & Slap and Don't Forget Your Hat.

Anti Skin Cancer Foundation.
Mister Wisteria
Garden Wizard

Re: Rocks (3)

Postby The Estate » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:14 am

:shock: :-P :-P :-P was thinking along the same lines Mr. W. :oops:
The Estate
Garden Wizard

Return to Bonsai How To Guide