Slab Planting

This sub-Forum is for posts on the basics of Bonsai, handy tips and other useful ideas to get you started on your own Bonsai. If you are new to Bonsai, read here before posting queries as you may find the answer. Ask questions on the main Bonsai forum and if the answer is of general interest it will end up here.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Slab Planting

Postby alpinebonsart » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:24 am

This is a simple method of planting trees on slabs , the principals are the same as a pot or tray only using a different vessel . With a slab of granite chosen i have mixed a muck {clay , sand , dead moss and old cedar needles } only because a have plenty on hand , to build a retaining wall around the perimeter of the slab .Keep a small margin around "10-15mm"around the outer edge of the slab to highlight the profile and add depth and meaning to the slab .Make the mix stiff so it will stick to the slab to produce a tray/pot type effect .

Add bonsai mix to the prepared slab as per normal potting of bonsai sprinkling a layer around the outer rim made from the muck . This will blend the clay into the finished landscape . Place the Tree , trees , or bonsai into the desired position and back-fill as normal potting . Firm down around the outer ,this insures the potting mix wont be washed off during watering and impregnates the wall with bonsai mix .

Place rocks , moss or accent plants into the design being careful not to overpower the bonsai and to balance the landscape , trim to you liking if not already done . When your a happy little bonsaist water with care so you dont wash the wall out . Place in full sun and bake till golden brown {oops sorry wrong forum} place in a sheltered spot amongst your other treasures , and its off to the next task .

Tip 1/ Drill a drain hole if the slab has a large concave .Use a masonary drill not on rotary hammer
Tip 2/ After the landscape is finish push a small stick across the wall through to the slab to breach the wall to assist drainage .
Tip 3/ If the tree/bonsai is large wire it to the slab using the drainhole to insert the wire , if no hole is present lay heavy wire over the top of the root-ball prior to backfilling and gently fold over the edge of the slab and crimp with pliers , alternatively wrap the rootball and slab with hemp string to hold the tree it will rot away in a month or two .
Tip 4/ Feel the fear and do it anyway . Happy Bonsai Ian
Attachments
100_2202.jpg
Trimmed and finished landscape
100_2198.jpg
Tree in position with rocks and moss
100_2197.jpg
slab with wall formed
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Slab Planting

Postby taffyman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Great topic Ian (Y) That trunk looks very much like the Chinese Penjing style of trees.

I have a nice slab here that one day I intend putting a tree on but just haven't got round to it yet. :oops:
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Re: Slab Planting

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:41 am

taffyman wrote:Great topic Ian (Y) That trunk looks very much like the Chinese Penjing style of trees.

I have a nice slab here that one day I intend putting a tree on but just haven't got round to it yet. :oops:

Hi Taffyman , No design at all has occured ,the root struck amongst dead branches and root trimming and was partually covered that is the distortion in the trunk .Yes it was the chinese who started bonsai {Penjing} with no rules , the japanese who transformed the art {Bonsai ]made all the rules , I'm not keen on Penjing , Absolutely love Bonsai ,But i hate rules . As long as a tree , group or forest is pleasing to the eye to me that is 'THE ART OF LIVING LANDSCAPE" . Its all about individual taste and style , after all no 2 artist paint the same . Did "PICASO" OR PRO HART follow the rules . Personally i wouldn't do Bonsai i had to follow the rules , i have friends who love my rejected/neglected trees or 9 - 2yo maple seedlings stuck in a bonsai pot with no order or training . I try to inspire people to try Bonsai with their own artistic flair as we all have talent even the new comers , LEARN ART THEN APPLY RULES .Cheers Happy Creating Ian
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai How To Guide