Water tray / Wet bed

This sub-Forum is for posts on the basics of Bonsai, handy tips and other useful ideas to get you started on your own Bonsai. If you are new to Bonsai, read here before posting queries as you may find the answer. Ask questions on the main Bonsai forum and if the answer is of general interest it will end up here.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Water tray / Wet bed

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 am

Hi to all who enjoy the "ART OF LIVING LANDSCAPE" Bonsai . Here is a effective yet simple way to conserve water and drought proof your bonsai "short term" . Simply grab a sheet of roofing iron , roof decking , profile doesn't matter as long as it will retain some water . If it has holes in consistant profiles , ensure they are up if necessary seal with tape , sealer , silicon anything will do even a small piece of plastic placed over the holes will prevent total loss of water .

Find or make a level area to lay the sheet/sheets of iron on ,If you dont posess a spirit level ,fill the sheet with water and adjust the ends /sides with blocks or timber using the water in the tray as a level . Using a pair of pliers , shifter spanner fold the flat or lower section up being careful as iron tears quite easily. You are basically making a saucer to hold water , then fill the tray with sand , use a long straight piece of timber smooth the sand down to the top rib on the iron .

The water tray/bed is now ready to use , place slab plantings in the middle. The ribs in the sheets will prevent most pots/trays from sitting in water , humidity will keep the bonsai healthy and the wet sand will keep the pots cooler preserving our most needed resource water and the frequentcy of watering is reduced. I have never lost a bonsai , seedling or a tree using a water/sand tray .

Tip 1/Sand is better than pebbles , water loss is 4 times greater with pebbles .

Tip 2/ Sand trays don't harbour mossies.

Tip 3/ Trays are extremely heavy when set up dont try to move or adjust ..

Tip 4/ Bonsai IS fun , so have fun BONSAI 'ING'

100_2230.jpg
This 3.0m x .9m contains 3 large slab plantings , 25 Canadian {False} Hemlocks , 30 Atlas Cedars and 50+ Coastal Redwood seedlings guarenteed to survive the extreme heat currently 38 degrees
100_2227.jpg
Fill with sand and smooth / screed off flat then it is ready to add slabs , trays and pots
100_2225.jpg
Level sheet at this point and fold up ends , fill or cover holes

Cheers Ian
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Water tray / Wet bed

Postby taffyman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:02 pm

Excellent and interesting advice Ian. The bit about sand instead of pebbles is really good - no mossies :twisted:
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:41 pm

taffyman wrote:Excellent and interesting advice Ian. The bit about sand instead of pebbles is really good - no mossies :twisted:

Thanks Taffyman i have a plunge bath to soak the bonsai in that i dont use because the mozzies love it, was thinking of rounding up some dirty old carp and putting them in their but the RSPCA might not like the idea.Cheers Ian
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby taffyman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:42 pm

I have a 240 litre black plastic tub from the B-store that I use to dunk my pots. What's left is then poured on the garden somewhere.

"Dirty old Carp" - LIquid fertilizer (Y) (Y) :lol: Friends of ours do a bit of fishing here in the Mary River and nearly always bring us home fresh catfish. Next time they do, I'm going to cut a couple of them up and put them in an empty Olive barrel I have, along with some goat manure if it's still available down the road.

We're on 2 acres, so there is no problem with smell annoying the neighbours - I'll put it down the back of the block away from everyone.
Taffy
Have fun, life is way too short for anything else
taffyman
Garden Wizard

Postby alpinebonsart » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:31 pm

taffyman wrote:I have a 240 litre black plastic tub from the B-store that I use to dunk my pots. What's left is then poured on the garden somewhere.

"Dirty old Carp" - LIquid fertilizer (Y) (Y) :lol: Friends of ours do a bit of fishing here in the Mary River and nearly always bring us home fresh catfish. Next time they do, I'm going to cut a couple of them up and put them in an empty Olive barrel I have, along with some goat manure if it's still available down the road.

We're on 2 acres, so there is no problem with smell annoying the neighbours - I'll put it down the back of the block away from everyone.

I use a small fish pond no fish my plunge bath is 7m x 1m for big slabs and pots 2MAN TREES
Chalie carp liquid fertilizer $50 for 2 litres lets take up fishing, sell the carp and retire rich .Ian
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai How To Guide