Raft Style Savin Juniper

This sub-Forum is for posts on the basics of Bonsai, handy tips and other useful ideas to get you started on your own Bonsai. If you are new to Bonsai, read here before posting queries as you may find the answer. Ask questions on the main Bonsai forum and if the answer is of general interest it will end up here.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Raft Style Savin Juniper

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi all you budding Bonsai artist ,this is a result of a previous topic requesting some design ideas . I have started with an idea and now it is a Bonsai , whilst i make is sound very easy it is in fact quite simple . Firstly i had a Savin Juniper {Juniperus sabina} yes another 1 i actually had 1 large plant and split it up 9 months ago into 3 smaller plants for use at a later date . With the plant growing well but lacking a good shape , undergrounders idea would be a good test for an otherwise poor quality tree .

With the plant still in its bag i toyed with various designs settling on the finsh required . I basically wired the branches using the conventional method "very rare even for me" with the purpose of using the branches as trees in the design . Using the Cantilever Raft Slab from the previous topic i simply made a muck perimeter wall as described in "Slab Planting"to add depth to the flat slab for the roots and soil .

I then planted the Juniper as per normal potting method ,"VERY LITTLE DISTURBANCE OF THE ROOTS TOOK PLACE AS ITS NOT THE BEST TIME TO TACKLE A REPOT/ROOT PRUNE". With the tree potted i then inserted the raft slab into position over the trunk of the plant . I placed a small amount of soil onto the Rafts slab and a thin layer of Spagnum Moss over the top of that to retain moisture for the raft to grow the new roots it will be encouraged to develop .
100_2371.jpg
POOR QUALITY JUNIPER WITH GOOD REGROWTH READY FOR WIRING
100_2374.jpg
RAFT AND BASE WITH MUCK WALLS
100_2378.jpg
JUNIPER POTTED ,MOSS ADDED AND RAFT PLACED INTO POSITION OVER TRUNK
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Raft Style Savin Juniper

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:31 pm

With the tree secure i set about removing small sections of bark underneath the trunk from which i hope to stimulate and grow new roots to complete the true Raft Style Bonsai . I painted these areas with Hormone jel and immediately pulled the trunk down into contact with the Spagnum Moss , securing the trunk with wire to the slab . I have inserted a small piece of rubber electrical wire coating as a pad to prevent damage to the trunk .

With the tree secured to the base , the trunk secured to the slab i packed more moss around the trunk quite firmly and backfilled with soil . Adding the moss to the landscape to complete the aged look , i simply adjusted the original branches into full upright positions to represent trees . The raft will settle in a day or two and i will fine tune the foliage to a more pleasing outlook .At this time only part of the raft is visible , to be exposed after the new root stimulation has been complete . Landscape completed total time 5.5hours to build the entire setting including making of the Cantilever slab
100_2379.jpg
BARK REMOVED FROM UNDERSIDE OF TRUNK AND JEL APPLIED
100_2381.jpg
TRUNK SECURED AND REPACKED WITH MOSS PRIOR TO ADDING SOIL AND MOSS
100_2386.jpg
FINISHED LANDSCAPE CANTILEVER RAFT-STYLE MULTI GROUP FOREST PLANTING ,CALL IT WHAT YOU LIKE ITS AN UNDERGROUNDER-ALPINEART BONSAI
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby alpinebonsart » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:56 pm

These are the latest pics after trimming of the foliage
100_2389.jpg
Front of landscape
100_2388.jpg
Rear of landscape
100_2392.jpg
Top view
alpinebonsart
Curator

Postby Undergrounder » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:30 am

I must admit alpineart, that side view is starting to get a really nice perspective to it... i think with a bit of age that could turn out really really interesting! Can't wait to see how it develops
Undergrounder
Head Gardener

Postby alpinebonsart » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:40 am

[
Thank undergrounder , with mid 40 degree temps at the moment keeping it alive will be a bigger challenge . I think there should be a class for dead Bonsai no doubt i would win with 50 plus starters dropping off the planet in the last week , and we still have another few days of extreme heat . Even the Cockatiel is looking a bit flaky . Cheers
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai How To Guide