Clinging Style Trident Maple

This sub-Forum is for posts on the basics of Bonsai, handy tips and other useful ideas to get you started on your own Bonsai. If you are new to Bonsai, read here before posting queries as you may find the answer. Ask questions on the main Bonsai forum and if the answer is of general interest it will end up here.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Clinging Style Trident Maple

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:38 am

This is a simple method i use to create a root over rock and a clinging style Bonsai . After selecting a rock ,i couldn't find an appropriate shape so i carved this out of a large piece of volcanic larva . Using a large angle grinder with a diamond wheel and wearing all the safety gear {goggles earmuffs and mask} i sectioned 8 grooves into the boulder at various angles to split the rock into usable sizes all with individual character .

Then with a brick Bolster and hammer i began by positioning the bolster between the groves and with a large blow at each cut the rock eventually splits with all the flaws for a good natural break .Any cut marks from the grinder can be hammered to add character.
100_3007.jpg
Now with a nice rock and full of character i ground small sections out to fit the trunk into . I chose this piece for the original tube running down from the top . This is where the trunk will fit , place the tree into position and mark the roots then groove the rock a little more .

Replace the tree and ensure it is a snug fit . When your satisfied firmly tie the trunk to the rock , coated wire is used here however a pad to prevent marking the trunk will do the job . Then simply wrap the roots with hemp string or similar starting from the top and winding around positioning the roots as you go .
100_3010.jpg

With the tree secured i then cover the roots and rock with a wet Muck mixture of rich compost and potting mix . Then wrap the rock and roots up firmly with weed mat and secure with the same hemp string winding around the entire base at about 15mm spacings from top to bottom .Weed mat is perfect for wrapping as it breathes better and the roots don't penertrate the outer .
Glad wrap wound several times around or plastic can be used however you must ensure that when watering you water inside the plastic .Trim the top and bottom of the wrap to aid root run and watering ability . Poking a few holes into the plastic aids water and airflow.Don't use shade cloth or flywire , its a nightmare to remove the roots that will penetrate the wrap
100_3013.jpg

With the tree wrapped it is potted into a large pot / tub / box or you can place it into the ground .If putting into the ground place a flat item eg corrigated iron/ply , plastic sheet under the base to ensure the roots run flat and for easy removal later . I chose a training bag as i have dozens on hand for collecting and training .
Last edited by alpinebonsart on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: Clinging Style Trident Maple

Postby alpinebonsart » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:55 am

To improve the overall appearance i chose to remove the central leader and use the 3rd branch as the new leader , this now has excellent flowing lines and is far more appealing .The Bonsai starter trimmed , wired and potted up ready for it new life . This excercise took 1 hour including cutting and shaping of the rock . I manages 3 exposed root over rocks and 10 trim and style Trident Maples in the day . Good result for a beautiful rainy day .
100_3015.jpg
100_3016.jpg
100_3017.jpg
Cheers and Happy Bonsai . Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai How To Guide