'Savin juniper' informal upright project

This sub-Forum is for posts on the basics of Bonsai, handy tips and other useful ideas to get you started on your own Bonsai. If you are new to Bonsai, read here before posting queries as you may find the answer. Ask questions on the main Bonsai forum and if the answer is of general interest it will end up here.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

'Savin juniper' informal upright project

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:52 am

Hi once again to all who indulge in the art of Bonsai . I have here a nursery plant that i purchased on a sale day for $10 . It was looking sad so i simply repotted into a trainer bag , firstly slicing the root ball vertically 6-8 times around the outer to a depth of about 30mm .Then raking to top of the roots to allow for instant release of pressure on the rootball , potted and placed it in the garden for 6 months . With its health restored i have decided i needed a challenge for another rainy day . This plant immediately lent itself to a cascade or semi-cascade ,however i wanted something different more of a informal upright or slanting style . I chose a combination of both for an informal upright-slanting style ..
100_3066.jpg
Back view of plant showing a base branch that was removed first with roots attached . Another new trainer in the making . the next 2 base branches were bar branches , these would be used for Jins later or restyled and retained .
100_3067.jpg
Front of the plant ,very congested at the base
100_3068.jpg
Side view showing the a simple Cascade in the making that could be produced with ease
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: 'Savin juniper' informal upright project

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:36 am

I have potted the plant into a larger than usual pot to assist in the design and to hold the tree firmly as i begin to wire and shape .Th plant was secured to the pot with a heavy wire wrapped around the trunk and base of the pot . With the finished design in mind i began by wiring the main trunk and lower branches
100_3129.jpg
Wiring of the main trunk and lower heavy branches . The outline emerges for the new tree
The weaker lowest branch was removed to a long stub as was a side shoot to the 2nd branch for the purpose of Jinning later ..
100_3196.jpg
Wiring of the smaller branches complete and the outline has improved , simple manipulation of the branches to a more pleasing look and gives a better insight to the final design
With the wiring complete the transformation from plant to tree is emerging
100_3200.jpg
Rear view of the new tree
alpinebonsart
Curator

Re: 'Savin juniper' informal upright project

Postby alpinebonsart » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:52 am

Not content with the tree in its present state i decided to remove the 2 lower branches for a more aged rugged look . They could remain in place to aid in pumping the trunk over the next growing season however i'm satisfied the trunk has the qualities of a very good Bonsai
100_3201.jpg
The tree prior to removing the lower 2 branches
100_3208.jpg
Out of daylight , i removed the lower branches and lowered the 3rd branch to become the main starting point for the Bonsai The stubs will be Jinned later when a repot will take place .
100_3231.jpg
The final result of about 6 hours of therapy
I removed the lower branches to give a better impression of age and ruggedness of a juniper in the wild . The 3rd branch was lowered to become the main starting point to the canopy . The main trunk was then compressed using a guide wire "Hook and Hold" placed from the pot base to midway up the trunk . Then with a pair of pliers i simply grasp the wire and turn 90 degree's thus compressing the trunk .

The top or canopy was compressed by hand with the aid of the wire .The void on the left side of the trunk is where the trunk line will ultimately end up to form the slanting style . Another 10-15 degree's will be placed on the trunk . With the Bonsai starter complete and a result better than anticipated , its off to collect another project or two .The original plant was 550mm wide and 650mm long , the Bonsai stands 300mm high and 450mm wide . All in all an excellent result .Cheers and happy Bonsai .Alpine
alpinebonsart
Curator

Return to Bonsai How To Guide