Soils Aint Soils ( Part One)

This sub-Forum is for posts on the basics of Bonsai, handy tips and other useful ideas to get you started on your own Bonsai. If you are new to Bonsai, read here before posting queries as you may find the answer. Ask questions on the main Bonsai forum and if the answer is of general interest it will end up here.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, taffyman, DrDuncs

Soils Aint Soils ( Part One)

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:21 am

If you were to ask 1000 bonsai growers "what soil mix do you use" you would probably get a 1000 different versions.
The most important consideration is the health of the tree and the best way to maintain this is to have a free draining mix which allows water to escape quickly from the pot thus eliminating the possibility of root rot. Many people I know grow bonsai trees in crushed rock with no organic material at all. Someone, who wished to make a point, once said you could use crushed glass and shredded tyre rubber. The 'soil' is only a vehicle to keep the tree in the pot, to keep it stable whilst allowing the roots to develop. The tree with this type of mix relies soley on water and fertilizer.
There are many bonsai soil mixes out there already bagged up and ready to go, which your local nursery should be able to supply. These mixes usually come in 10litre or 12litre and would be preferable if you are using garden soil or the like. In part two I will cover my own personal mixes and the reasons why.

Regards Ash :)
Better to procrastinate than lose sight of the objective by rash deeds
Ash
Propagator

Postby Paddles » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:46 pm

I swear by the sashieda/ mix, but have used good quality potting mix with no bad side effects.

I've also been know to use fine erchid mix, either mixed in with potting mix or on its own.
Paddles
Senior Curator

Postby guzzigirl » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:49 pm

what about a cactus mix? They are designed to be free draining.
“Although you’ll find our house a mess, come in, sit down, converse…
It doesn’t always look like this! Sometimes it’s even worse!”
guzzigirl
Garden Wizard

Re: Soils Aint Soils ( Part One)

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi guzzigirl sorry I took so long to reply to you LOL. Is cactus mix a gritty substance? As long as it's not too fine it should be perfect as part of the soil component. Anything that promotes those feeder roots is ok by me. The real deal is aeration in the mix i.e. lava rock, granite 3mm is probably ideal. I am trying to get a hold of 3mm scoria not only to put in my mix but as a top dressing for the bonsai pots to give me a uniform presentation.

On reflection cactus mix may be a bit expensive so why not try your garden supplies yard and get washed river sand. Much cheaper and plentiful.

Ash :)
Better to procrastinate than lose sight of the objective by rash deeds
Ash
Propagator

Return to Bonsai How To Guide