Are These Bean Tree Seedlings?

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Are These Bean Tree Seedlings?

Postby abrogard » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:53 am

I picked up some 'bean' pods fallen from some kind of local council planted trees that I like and planted the seeds on a whim.

Now I have seedlings popped up such as I've never seen before inasmuch as they have little red tufts between the cotyledons.

Would these be seedling 'bean' trees? If so, how should I proceed from here or should I ask in another thread?

DSCF2231 [640x480].jpg

DSCF2323 [640x480].jpg
abrogard
Curator

Re: Are These Bean Tree Seedlings?

Postby greg.l » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

They probably are your bean tree. You should transplant soon into a pot, grow it for 6-12 months before planting out in the garden.

Growing trees from seed is great, I have grown many over the years and now have some good trees that cost me almost nothing. If you buy seeds through the mail you can get unusual trees that no-one else will have.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby Woko » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Is the Bean Tree a local species? If not, I'm not sure why you would risk having an invasive plant in your garden. The same would surely apply to buying seeds through the mail.
Woko
Curator

Postby greg.l » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Woko, your indigenous plant advocacy is getting more extreme. Is growing exotic plants from seed worse than buying the plants? There are people on this forum who would like to discuss exotic plants without being hectored about their choices. After all, there are plenty of exotic plants in Australia already, many of them crop plants we rely on for food.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby abrogard » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 am

I think Woko's post is impertinent. Should be the subject of a different thread. Or perhaps a couple of different threads.

I'll pot them today, see how they go. Thanks for the advice. Don't recognise the pod, the seed, the seedling? Can't hazard a guess at what it might be?
abrogard
Curator

Postby Pam » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Abrogard, you'd really need to have some true leaves on them to have a proper id.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Yes, I can believe that. Just thought there'd be a slim chance someone would recognise the plant from the pod - or even perhaps the red leaves (?) coming up was so unusual to me (never popped anything like this before) that for all I know it could have defined the plant.

I'm happy to wait.

:)
abrogard
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:54 am

What size are the pods Abrogard? Given that you picked them up from beneath council trees, perhaps take a photo of the trees, including a clear shot of the leaves, and maybe one of the bark. It might help.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Woko » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:25 am

Surely no more extreme than the advocacy, however subtle, for non-indigenous plants, greg.l.
At a time when indigenous ecologies are disappearing at a fast clip I would have thought questions about plant species would be entirely pertinent rather than impertinent.
Woko
Curator

Postby Pam » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:53 pm

It does need to be borne in mind though, that, regardless of what our individual views might be, this forum is run by GE who DO sell non indigenous plants. People should feel free to ask for information about any type of plants without fear of being berated for even considering planting something that does not occur naturally within a 10k radius of where they live.

To aspire to have all gardens contain only those plants is admirable, but maybe not practical, and the truth is that most gardeners are going to want plants from further afield.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby abrogard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:39 pm

I will post pics of the trees when I find them again.

Meanwhile:

DSCF2462 [640x480].jpg
abrogard
Curator

Return to Plant & Pest ID