Lawn Highs and Woes

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Lawn Highs and Woes

Postby Donniebon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:47 am

I moved into a unit about four months ago and set to fixing the front of my new digs with some lawn care. I sprayed the ancient couch and dandelion, dug it all up and kept digging until the soil was lovely. I put a border in and planted petunias, snapdragons and hollyhocks that are all now thriving.

At first the lawn, kikuyu, was lovely growing a treat. I kept up the care with fertilizing and oversowing (neighbours were suitably impressed!) But with the summer coming on, to make watering easier I used some soil wettener. Everything was ok until a week ago when blackbirds, males and females (females are brown) started drilling holes in parts of my lawn with serious intent.

Can a person have heartbreak over a lawn? :( Sigh, anyway, some research here at GE and a post from '07 in which a person has the same lament and someone writes back about curl grubs. I found lots of these when I was digging up. Apparently, the birds are doing me a favour by digging them out as they attack the roots of the grass. I wondered why parts of my lawn were not thriving and other parts were dying without a cause - whole patches and tracts of the lawn were going yellow. I've now made peace with my blackbirds, in spite of the many holes they are leaving in my lawn each day.

Oh that old post said to use detergent to bring the curl grubs to the surface. The birds can feast then, probably with beakfuls of soapsuds, but it might help.

Anyone else here have similar lawn woes? What did you end up doing? :-?
Donniebon
Cultivator

Re: Lawn Highs and Woes

Postby Donniebon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:14 am

Well, I can't report about the detergent use on the lawn but I can report that I found the answer to the curl grub problem. It's an insecticide - what a learning curve this has been!

There's only one more problem and that's the issue of the lawn being out the front of my unit. A neighbour has a small dog who likes to trot along on my lawn and he's a grass eater as well and the directions say to keep pets off the wet grass once the stuff is on. So I've discussed this with my neighbour and she's agreeable to keeping the dog in or on a leash during the use of the insecticide and until the grass is again dry. The insecticide says to use in the late afternoon on a wettened lawn, probably for it to soak in properly; apparently curl grubs don't like lots of wet, they like to chew on dry grass roots. I think this little curly monsters are also attacking my flowers and I'll need to get onto it all post haste because of the maturing of the grub into their adult African blackbeetle form.

In the meantime, grin and bear the blackbird holes...grrrr. :|
Donniebon
Cultivator

Return to Plant & Pest ID