Eats Cabbage Away Like With A Knife

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Eats Cabbage Away Like With A Knife

Postby abrogard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm

I'm still in the early stages of gardening and still learning to identify the enemy from his method of operation.

Here's a new one on me: it eats cabbage away in one location on the head seeming to go down through it almost as cleanly as a knife cut.

I thought it was birds, my most recent 'discovery' and challenge but now I think not because birds would attack all over the plant.

so I'd think slugs or snails, something crawling around and around after making the first 'cut' , following the leaves around which is like circular, isn't it.

But I've put down plenty of bait and many other things are not showing any signs and there's no dead shells around.

So I wonder.

DSCF3294 [640x480].jpg
Penetrated Head on the Left and is Circling Down into it.

The photo is disappointing. I'll have to have another go. But I think probably good enough for anyone who is familiar with this kind of damage.
abrogard
Curator

Re: Eats Cabbage Away Like With A Knife

Postby bubba louie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Caterpillars or grasshopper gets my vote.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Re: Eats Cabbage Away Like With A Knife

Postby abrogard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks for that. I sprayed with Dipel two nights ago. Results inconclusive as yet. Should I see the ground littered with dead caterpillars? I think not. Never have done.
abrogard
Curator

Return to Plant & Pest ID