Pest Damage Or Something Else?

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Pest Damage Or Something Else?

Postby abrogard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:16 am

Perhaps this is pest damage, I don't know.

Longtitudinally rolled leaves. No other signs of damage

Capsicums in pots. Been there maybe a year. Could well be root bound. Have basalt rock chips in the bottom 50mm for drainage so also could have the bottom 50mm of root exposed to the air down there.. no soil, just rocks. I've seen that in others I've unpotted.

Perhaps they simply need 'unpotting' or repotting.

But I thought I'd ask.

DSCF3302 [640x480].jpg

DSCF3301 [640x480].jpg
abrogard
Curator

Re: Pest Damage Or Something Else?

Postby bubba louie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:08 pm

It looks thirsty.

Google says thrips, mites, or a deficiency.
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”
Hans Christian Andersen
bubba louie
Garden Wizard

Re: Pest Damage Or Something Else?

Postby abrogard » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:10 pm

I've got wary of overwatering my capsicums. Well, chilies anyway. I see the drooping leaf you see I guess but the whole plant generally looks hydrated enough to me. Though I well may be wrong. I'm listening.

Thrips, mites or a deficiency.

I use Yates general purpose plant food every week or two. Could there still be a deficiency?

Thrips and mites: Apparently mites eat thrips I just found! I'll try Pyrethrum but that's my usual spray anyway.

I did a bit of googling and got a couple of interesting hits.

One says it is the whitefly bemisia tabaci Their picture certainly looks most like what I've got:

http://www.apsnet.org/publications/imag ... 00178.aspx

and the other says use peanut oil to combat it (down in the 'natural oils' section. says peanut oil most effective):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverleaf_whitefly

That whitefly page is horrifying reading. The things spread everywhere, almost any plant, and they carry virus with them too.... They could wipe out a garden easy enough I think....
abrogard
Curator

Return to Plant & Pest ID