Pest id please

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Pest id please

Postby barbmc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:21 pm

I have a golden cane palm which is generally healthy, though some of the leaves are yellowing, so I am a little concerned.

There are black marks and some white coating on the stems (see photo), and I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I have tried white oil and neem oil, but neither had any effect.

20140401_143707.jpg
barbmc
Lawn trimmer

Re: Pest id please

Postby Tropicgardener » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 pm

You Golden Cane Palm is actually looking very healthy......... The yellow colour is normal with these palms unless they are grown in deep shade in the warmer tropics/subtropics where they tend to go green. In their natural habitat in Madagascar they grow in fairly open seasonally wet/dry locations and are almost always yellow, this is a characteristic of the species. Also a characteristic is the white 'bloom' produced along with the black flecks which are part of the plant and not a pest at all.

I see that you are in Melbourne.........it is not an ideal climate for this palm, it will have to be well sheltered during your winters.

I hope this helps a bit.
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Postby barbmc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks - that's really reassuring!!!

She got fairly battered last winter. I was wondering whether I should move her(goldie) inside?
barbmc
Lawn trimmer

Postby Tropicgardener » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Well done in getting her through a Melbourne winter, that means you are doing something right and 'Goldie' is looking fine to me.........If you want to keep her inside choose a very well lit position. Some books say these are good indoors but my experience tells me otherwise unless they are receiving great light and are taken outside frequently, having their foliage washed down. Misting helps also.

Despite being quite attractive I personally don't use Golden Canes in my gardens up here due to their rampant nature in the tropics and warm subtropics along with the fact that they are very much overused up here. I do however hope that yours grows well for you :)
Tropicgardener
Senior Curator

Location: Airlie Beach....Whitsunday Region, Tropical Queensland

Return to Plant & Pest ID