It's all new to me

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

It's all new to me

Postby remarked » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi,

Just got myself a new house with a beautiful garden, my first real garden. So I have a question if you can help. One of the main trees in the back I'd love to know what it is as I have no idea. Also there appears to have suddenly been a growth of what I think is Black Witch Ear fungi. Why is this and is it a problem? What can be done to reduce this.

Hope you can help me.

Thanks
Attachments
Tree 3.jpg
Tree 3.jpg (21.85 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
Tree 2.jpg
Tree 2.jpg (19.72 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
Tree 1.jpg
Tree 1.jpg (25.38 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
remarked
Apprentice

Re: It's all new to me

Postby greg.l » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:00 am

Your tree is a Rhododendron, you should get flowers in spring. I don't think you can do much about the fungi, the tree looks quite old so it is probably in some dead wood and won't affect the living parts of the tree.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby remarked » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Hey Greg,

Thanks for that. Very helpful

My concern then would be that the fungi is on one of the two main branches, would this indicate there is a problem in one perhaps? Also it is quite unsightly and appears to be spreading. Is there any problem in taking the fungi off?

Cheers
remarked
Apprentice

Postby greg.l » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:30 pm

I haven't heard of any fungi that kill rhodos, though I can see why you are worried. The visible part is just the fruiting body, no problem removing that. You can try painting fungicide on the infection, that might help if you can find a suitable fungicide. Realistically you just have to hope things turn out well and the tree can heal itself. A rhodo of that size is worth saving.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Return to Plant & Pest ID