Please help, pests on Persimmon and Fig

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Please help, pests on Persimmon and Fig

Postby Yxoc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 am

Hello,
I am having a serious problem with pests on my persimmon and Fig. In both cases ants seem to be encouraging/cultivating the activity and helping it spread. In the photos attached you can see the persimmon has large black, and smaller light brown pods attached to the leaves, the plant overall is looking poorly. The fig has a black powder over the leaves which I assume is some sort of mould but the main problem is that it is covered with what appears to be shellfish!! You can see the small pinkish cone shaped shelled creatures all over the leaves and extremities of the branches. Can anyone help?

Thankyou

Derek
DSCF1692.JPG
Persimmon tree with pests and ants

DSCF1691.JPG
Fig tree with 'shellfish' like pests
Yxoc
Lawn trimmer

Re: Please help, pests on Persimmon and Fig

Postby HortMaster » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:06 pm

It's called scale. The ants eat the scale's excreta. Best prevention is to basically rub them off as they can't move once they're in their adult stage. It's at the stage now where it looks quite bad. Horticultural oil will be ineffective against scale so you need to either rub all the plants clean and monitor or use a pesticide:)
HortMaster
Head Gardener

Postby Yxoc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Hortmaster,
Thankyou for taking the time to post. Which of the two trees has the scale, the persimmon or the fig?

Cheers

Derek
Yxoc
Lawn trimmer

Postby tam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Are your trees in a well drained spot?
I had to dig my custard apple up and replant it higher as the ground was staying too wet. It had the same problems as yours but is much happier & healthier now.
I had fruit set this year.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby karyn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:32 am

They both have it, different kinds of scale. You could try a vigorous hosing down, but I doubt it will help too much. Scraping it off with your fingernail, or even a nail brush or something will help. You'll probably need to do it a couple of times. Then once you've scraped/scrubbed it a good few times, you could try a few doses of pest oil. The leaves will fall soon anyway, but the scale on the bark will stay and worsen. I wouldn't use those leaves on your compost, I think I'd probably dispose of them in the bin.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Postby Pam » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:36 am

A friend had a bottlebrush with a heavy infestation of scale, and which was also covered in sooty mould as a result. It had been a gift from her aunt who had subsequently passed away, so was of great emotional value to her.

It was all she had that I figured was suitable, so I scrubbed it down with a weak solution of woolwash and a soft cloth. It had previously sat for 3 or 4 years and done nothing whatsoever because of the heavy infestation, and within a month had doubled in size.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby Yxoc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 am

Thank you all for the helpful posts. I have started to scrub all the scale off by hand. It has come off the fig quite easily (if messily) and the persimmon is a little bit more difficult. Do people advocate washing it down with some sort of detergent? (I assume wool wash is a detergent based cleaner)

Derek
Yxoc
Lawn trimmer

Postby tam » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:47 pm

I have put ant dust around my trees after cleaning up as they are very persistent.
tam
Gardening Sage

Postby karyn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 am

Cheap dishwashing liquid is as good as anything, just rinse the tree afterwards. I use cheap dishwashing liquid on harlequin bugs and also occasionally to treat hydrophobic soil, it doesn't do any harm when diluted by rinsing well.
karyn
Gardening Sage

Return to Plant & Pest ID