Please help me ID this plant.

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

Please help me ID this plant.

Postby allieono » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:37 pm

I would love to find out the botanical/or common name for this perennial. I live on the Southern Tablelands NSW . This plant self seeds every season and is very drought tolerant,it will take full sun and also I have some growing in the shade.It has small delicate yellow flowers and grows to about 40 to 60 cm tall when grown in a sunny position .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
allieono
Gardener

Re: Please help me ID this plant.

Postby greg.l » Thu May 01, 2014 6:31 am

That is chelidonium, in the poppy family. very persistent but easy to pull out.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby allieono » Thu May 01, 2014 7:24 am

Thank you for your help Greg, you are spot on.I have just read the Wikipedia about it and am glad to have it in my garden,it is a great little weed deterrent,self seeding like forget me nots but easy to pull out if in places not wanted ...thank you once again.
allieono
Gardener

Postby greg.l » Thu May 01, 2014 9:02 am

If I let it grow in my garden it would grow everywhere, it produces a lot of seedlings. The foliage is nice but the flowers arent very impressive. Maybe you have a large-flowered form. I have just about eradicated it after 15 years of trying, but I'm sure a few seedlings will come up next year.
greg.l
Gardening Sage

Postby allieono » Sat May 03, 2014 9:58 am

The flowers on mine are small Greg. I have this plant in one of my clients gardens and it is doing a wonderful job keeping the weeds away,but i must say that where it is never gets any proper irrigation and the soil is really bad so it isn't a problem in that garden. In my garden it is getting a little more care and seems to be spreading,( I have only just planted them this season) so hopefully they don't become a problem for me, they are easy to pull out and i have already been culling baby plants that emerge in places that I don't want them.
allieono
Gardener

Return to Plant & Pest ID