ID Tree climbing vine

A forum to post photos and descriptions of plants and garden pests for possible identification by other Forum members. Identification may not be possible but it never hurts to ask.

Moderators: Forum_mod, Pam, Sam, Luzy, Bulbinella

ID Tree climbing vine

Postby anthonyg » Thu May 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Can someone ID this for me please? (Madeira or large pepper, possibly?) Mid north coast NSW.

3.jpg
anthonyg
Weeder

Re: ID Tree climbing vine

Postby abwal » Thu May 08, 2014 12:32 pm

It looks like syngonium.
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Thu May 08, 2014 3:01 pm

I believe Abwal is spot-on. I have the very same plant, a runaway. My plant has managed to cling to the trunk of my Casuarina tree. It has grown to a certain height and no further, hasn't done any harm to the tree... in fact, is easy to pull off the trunk if need be. I have found the bits closer to the ground more of a problem...they run, take root in soil etc.
I rather like the look of this plant on the tree trunk, it looks as though it belongs there, if you get my drift. Then again... I am not into structured gardens, overly neat and tidy, clipped etc.
I enjoy having some free garden areas.. a bit wild. Fallen branches, hollow logs, rocks etc. ... perhaps some native violets poking their nose through the mess (for want of a better word) ...lol
To each his own. :wink:
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby abwal » Thu May 08, 2014 4:10 pm

I think formal gardens have their place and can look truly beautiful.

Like Midgin, I like my garden to be more natural looking with 'blemishes' here and there - even the occasional weed - or three. :D
Gardening is sharing.
abwal
Garden Wizard

Postby midgin » Thu May 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Yes Abwal, agree. Perhaps I should explain my yard has so many types of garden areas...some are almost wild, some are more so 'regular' and so forth. Following from a description my sister uses re her garden... all different rooms... so to speak.
I do admit, I could never accomplish a completely tidy garden... not with my numerous trees. :shock: :shock:
Sorry... off topic.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby anthonyg » Thu May 08, 2014 5:10 pm

midgin wrote:My plant has managed to cling to the trunk of my Casuarina tree.

Same in this case. It is a bush block I have had for over 30 years and I now live close enough to give it a proper clean up. I don't want the vine to kill the tree, as that could cause problems later, with it being such a large tree.
anthonyg
Weeder

Postby anthonyg » Thu May 08, 2014 5:15 pm

midgin wrote:in fact, is easy to pull off the trunk if need be.

This one is well attached and does not come away easily. :)
anthonyg
Weeder

Postby anthonyg » Thu May 08, 2014 5:18 pm

abwal wrote:It looks like syngonium.

At first I doubted your answer, but then I found this pic on the internet. It's the closest in similarity I have found.

pic: syngonium climbing

syngonium_climbing.jpg
anthonyg
Weeder

Postby midgin » Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 am

Like you, that was my main concern... the vine possibly killing the tree. I decided if push came to shove I would lop the vine at ground level, but as I mentioned the vine grew to a certain height then eased off. When I do accidentally do lop a piece of the plant at the base...it dies off all the way up the trunk. Later today, I will try and gauge the full height my vine has reached. BTW... it has there for years and years, no problems.
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby anthonyg » Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 am

midgin wrote:When I do accidentally do lop a piece of the plant at the base...it dies off all the way up the trunk. Later today, I will try and gauge the full height my vine has reached.

As you can see in the first pic I have cleared the vine from the base of the trunk. The pic is from about 2 weeks ago. If and when the upper part of the vine dies away, I will add an updated pic. I could save a piece, but it seems to grow a bit like a triffid. :)

Its perfectly suited to its location, being a rainforest plant. The area is high humidity and rainfall.

Do you have a pic of your vine? :?:

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syngonium

wiki quote-Syngonium /sɪŋˈɡoʊniəm/[1] is a genus of about 36 species of flowering plants in the family Araceae, native to tropical rain forests in Central and South America. They are woody vines growing to heights of 10–20 m or more in trees.
anthonyg
Weeder

Postby midgin » Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 am

Here you go, I ducked out and took a pic. or two... ignore the mess...rain, wind, autumn etc. I estimate the full height of mine to be approx 7 metres. That is on two trees... both have grown to that height. My guess.....these vines have been there for maybe 12+ years.

syngonium Fri 9.5.2014 016 (Small).jpg
syngonium

syngonium Fri 9.5.2014 013 (Small).jpg
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby anthonyg » Sat May 10, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks for the pic, it might seem obvious, but the similarity in the shape of the vines is interesting. By the way your garden looks nice. cheers :)
anthonyg
Weeder

Postby midgin » Sat May 10, 2014 11:51 am

My pleasure......thanks Anthony for your kind words. :wink:
midgin
Garden Wizard

Postby Pam » Sat May 10, 2014 2:34 pm

There was one trying to make a take-over bid when we came here. Apart from what was growing accross the ground, it was only a fishtail palm it was growing up, so its height was limited in that way, but it was attempting to reach accross to the power line about a metre away, so out it came. It was a huge job, and even now, 8 years later it still pops up and makes a run for it.
Pam
Garden Wizard

Postby edleigh7 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:14 am

Yes Syngonium podophyllum, they are a weed here in the sub tropics and hard to eradicate once established
Ed
Tropical Collector
edleigh7
Propagator

Postby anthonyg » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Recent pic, did not use any poisons, just removed all the ground roots.

DSCF11596.jpg
anthonyg
Weeder

Return to Plant & Pest ID